SweetPea's breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering if you might be able to clear up a few things about SweetPea's possible breed/mix.

I ask mostly because her face and features in general are much more angular than my other three girls.

She's pure white, with blue eyes (though not the ice blue that Flower has as a partial on her right eye). In fact, her eyes are almost a slight shade of lavendar.

As far as weight, she's just about 5lbs, though I think a bit under, and as far as coat, it's hard to tell, as her coat has a bit of roughness that I think will handle once we've transitioned her over to the girls' normal food. But, it's the same type of coat as Maisie...not the lop kind of coat. I hope that makes sense.

So, on to pictures:

000_2633.jpg

000_2427.jpg

A good capture of how wedgelike her face is:

000_2407.jpg

01122007003.jpg

05062007003.jpg

I hope those are good enough to show her different features. Let me know if you'd like to see better of any particular thing, and I'll take a picture for it and put it here. :)

Thanks, guys! :)

Hugs!

Rosie*

The flyback coat & sizecould point to possibilities such as Dutch, English Spot, Polish, Florida White orHavana.

The wide "V" carriage throws in a little mystery to her heritage because the above breeds carry their ears in a more erect position. Maybe some lop in her heritage?

The source of the blue eyes could have come from Polish or Dutch lines, or any other breed carrying BEW

The above breeds also generally don't develop such large dewlap.

I've also seen Rex crosses with very coarse coats.

So - hard to say ;)

Pam

Hey guys! Thanks for your responses!

A bit more information...

Jesse (JAK Rabbitry) came over to our place yesterday because she was in town (yay!), and took a look at SweetPea, and said that she has bright blue eyes, not "china blue". She also said that she would guess that SweetPea was a Himalayan mix, due to her wedge-like head, and the fact that she has very little curvature to the back. She said that she would guess Florida White, except that her color of eyes doesn't normally come out in Florida Whites, since she doesn't have china blue, but rather the bright blue.

What do you guys think?

Edited to add: Yes, I believe she's fully grown...her first birthday was the end of March of this year. :)

The shape of her face and her ears remind me of Pebble and Ebony, they are rex / lops mixes. :)

Nomatter what she is, she sure is cute, I adore white rabbits (of all eye colours). :)

A few things would probably rule out Beveren - The size, the flyback coat (white Beverens have rather long, rollback coats), and also the fact that Beverens are so rare. Some lines also carry the wooled gene- hencethe DQ for coats over 2" in length ;) Beverens are also rather full (almost blocky) in the head. The rabbit in the photo actually appears to be showing a finer bone structure (despite the excess weight).

We raised them many years ago - they are a very striking rabbit.

Pam

Back