Sweet toothed Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph16

Reaction score
So I am wondering... how much sugar is too much sugar in a bunnies diet?

Right now I feed Jacob
4 baby carrots/ day
1 tsp or so of apple juice in his water/ changing water (so it doesn't mean he drinks it all either.
not too many fruits, but the occasional slice of apple or peach

Also what ill effects can too much sugar have on a bunny?

not sure on how much is too much as it will vary depending on the bunny size and their general health. Can cause a really loose discharge. With some of ours, even a little is too much leading to a cleanup on aisle #2--really disgusting. With the others, no problems at all.

So I am assuming since Jacob doesn't have that, then I am not feeding him too much.

Can bunnies develop sugar related illnesses like diabetes?

Also is sugar bad for their teeth, like it is for humans? Or is it alright, since they are chewing on harder things all the time, therefore, making them a little cleaner. (or at least thats my method of thinking)

There was another question I was going to ask, but I have forgotten it... I will post it later if I think of it.

Why does he need apple juice in his water? Unless he has hydration issues or the vet has recommended it, I would just give him plain water. Bunnies really need plain water.

id just go back to plain water. buns teeth grow all the time....they are open rooted not like ours.
However they can get decay from sugary stuff like chocolate etc....

carrots have sugar...apples are sweet and acidic.....but they eat hay to clean their teeth...

i dont think diabetes is that common in buns..but i dont know.

HOWEVER i can tell you sugars can be very bad for a bunny in their digestive system.....it can lead to excess cecals (the night time soft poos they eat) gi stasis......the bad bacteria thrives on sugary stuff.

however i had a bun who knew what sweets were...he was a little devil..his tummy never bothered him!! but sadly he was one of a kind.

I find he does not drink his water unless there is apple juice in it. It's weird... but I only put like a little drizzle in it.

Latest posts

Back