surprise litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have had my dwarf Psycho less than a month, she was moody and just hated the other rabbits. I figured she was a loner...well....

today i have 4 babies. i think she may be having more. One died already a peanut...i used to breed rabbits...but i had no idea she was pregnant. The babies that are remaining are cold she did not make a nest...

what do i do?

The babies need to be warmed up, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. I think this will get moved to the Rabbitry Forum where you will get the best advice.

It might be worthwhile getting a nest box (something like a show box will work fine, i.e. open at the top, big enough for mum to get in, but high enough sides for the babies to not get out) and make a nest for her using what she has in her hutch.

How is she acting?

They need to be warmed not too quickly, which is why I can't remember the best way to do it. Some people tuck the kits in their bras. I think someone said something about warm water, but I can't remember what, so don't touch that with a barge pole until someone knowledgable comes along.

Psycho wont let me even put my hand in the cage. I put a towel in there, put some nesting material in there and covered the cage up i will keep checking on her and the babies. I have to go make dinner for my kids.

rabbits006.jpg

this is psycho i took this yesterday. she's not a very friendly bunny.

I've got a mommy that doesn't make a very good nest at all, but she still takes care of her babies very well. We shall all cross our fingers/paws for you and the babies.
Time shall tell with these little ones. do the babies look cubby?

Blaze_Amita wrote:
I've got a mommy that doesn't make a very good nest at all, but she still takes care of her babies very well. We shall all cross our fingers/paws for you and the babies.
Time shall tell with these little ones. do the babies look cubby?
they are chunky but fugly i thought my baby rats looked odd when they were born

make sure that in 24 or 42 hrs the babies tummys are swollen/full. that means mama is feeding them,
good luck.
p.s make sure the babis dont stray from teh nest

irishlops wrote:
make sure that in 24 or 42 hrs the babies tummys are swollen/full. that means mama is feeding them,
good luck.
they are full looking i just took the 3 out, 2 are gray and one is black. When i got her i was told that she was kept with a lion head male. so i have no idea what these babies will look like.

Do they look like they have swallowed ping pong balls?

jamielleman13021 wrote:
irishlops wrote:
good luck.
they are full looking i just took the 3 out, 2 are gray and one is black. When i got her i was told that she was kept with a lion head male. so i have no idea what these babies will look like.
well the most important thing is the wellness of the kits, i think the kits will look lovely but. from the pics you posted and loin heads i saw, it might be really nice.
keep an eye on the bellies. and make sure none of the babies stray from ecah other or out of the nest because they could cool down and maybe even die.
i think they will be fine.
if you have a small small box or a shoe box, even...put a towel in one bit and hay and fur in the other so they cany stary but mummy bun can get in...
good luck:)

Psycho is very pretty. It is possible that the lion head was neutered--they can still get females pregnant for up to 8 weeks after a neuter, strangely enough. Can you pull fur from another bunny for her to line the nest with? My guys are shedding like crazy and have plenty of fur to share, just an idea.

I have used horse hair before to line a make shift nest for a dwarf that didn't pull fur (One of my famous auction pulls was bred and I didn't know) so i took the shedding brush over my two horses and was able to get enough fur to put in with the hay, straw and shaveings to make it soft, it didn't bother mommy because she wasn't nursing them, we bottle fed the babies.

jamielleman13021 wrote:
i forgot to mention i was told the lion head was neutered....uh no...obiviously. lol. I have a nest box in the cage with her and the babies.

thats great that you have a nesting box. just i did not think you did.

ps. my boy, eyore is sheadding like mad. do you want some lol:D

Latest posts

Back