surprise kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniferdwn

Reaction score
My bunnies surprised me with babies today!! Flopsy was action crazy today and digging in her litter box so I put a box in her cage and she acted as though she was making a nest. I thought there was a slight chance she was pregnant as Munchkin was neutered 3 weeks ago and the vets office isn't tell me to keep them seperated for another month. The kids opened the gate about 4_5 weeks ago and they must have done a quick bunny dance then. Well we got home tonight and found 2 kits in the box covered in fur. They are adorable. Please share any info I need to know. When can I touch them, when do I need hay or food for them when do they start walking or eating etc. Um doing research, but is there any quick things I need to know right away? Do dogs barking and kids making noise bother rabbits like it does hamsters? Thanks for any info anyone can/will share.

You don't really need to do anything for them. Rabbits take care of their kits pretty good. Just check them once a day to make sure mom is feeding them. She will nurse them for 4-6 weeks. They usually start venturing out of the nestbox when their eyes open, about 10-14 days. About that time they'll also start nibbling on hay and mom's pellets.

Thanks! Don't mean to sound dumb, but I've never done this before......if she doesn't stay in the box with them, how will I know if she is feeding them. So many sites I've read makes it sound like its a very difficult process for them to grow to a mature rabbit. I'm almost afraid to look in the box in the morning for fear they have gotten too cold or mom isn't taking care of them or something. Surely mom will know what to do and will be capable of raising her babies. Maybe I'll be less stressed in the morning.

They only feed once or twice a day in early morning or evening, so chances are you might not even see her feeding them. You can check soon after these times, what you're looking for is babies that have big, round "ping pong ball" bellies. It is best to have a check in the nest in case there are any other kits you may have missed, live or dead, so you can remove if needed. Checking every day ensures you know they're getting fed too. If they're not being fed, you can hold the mother in your lap and bring a kit up to suckle from underneath.

Once they start moving about, you'll need to make sure that the gaps in the cage bars aren't big enough for them to crawl out of.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403178733.808326.jpg
My friend Lena was surprised with 3 mini Rex mix babies last week! At my school, a donated rabbit broke his leg so they had to rearrange the cages. With all the commotion, they thought her female mini Rex show bunny was a male. Spot, Also a donated bunny and a male mutt, bred my friends bunny through the fence. They didn't know until one morning when they saw 3 little pink blobs in the cage😂
It was dangerous though because her rabbit was slightly under age, like a pregnant 14 year old

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403179496.041935.jpg
P.S. They ended up giving us the rabbit with the broken leg for good since my sister had shown him for 2 year while he was owned by the school, before he broke his leg:)

Well this morning there are two fat little babies in the box! Flopsy is so calm and its like she wants you to look at her babies. Munchkin had to see them last night and jumped up on top of the cage and looked down at his babies. I am so relieved that they were OK this morning.we took a picture of each baby and one of them together and then out them back and covered them up. Its all I can do to make my daughter leave them in the box! Lol she's 12 so I know she won't bother them but she sure wants to snuggle with them!! :) reading posts on this forum sure has helped me with other rabbit things, I just didn't know I needed to be reading up on babies!

Latest posts

Back