Surgery to deal with bladder sludge - any experiences?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly--our vet thought that Charlene had an ossified baby on board but it turned out to be a huge bladder stone. She came out of it fine. We just limit anything that has excessive calcium now.

I think it is a bit drastic. Have you tried doing a TON of sub-q's in an attempt to flush the system? I know that Amy27's bun Chase had surgery to remove bladder stones, and as a result developed sludge along the scar on the bladder--something about the healing tissue or the change to the shape of the bladder itself caused the sludge to accumulate there.

What about a flush with a catheter?

My other rabbit, Little Bunny has had sludge for about...well I can't even remember. I think it has been about 6 months now. She has tried the Lasix, which helped Chase with no improvement. She goes back to the vet on Friday and I am going to ask about the catheter flush. I am hoping that is a good option. I can tell you with Chase's surgeries to remove the bladder stones, the surgery was pretty stressful and not something I ever want to go through. I would really push your vet to do everything else before considering that.

With the sub q's, Chase who is about 7lbs got 100-150cc a day and Little Bunny who is about 5lbs got 50-100cc a day. Sub q's never really seemed to make a difference with either of them.

Would your vet consider Lasix with the sub q's? Even a month of Lasix might do the trick. It has been a life saver for me, but more so for Chase. The Lasix really helps her. She has been sludge free for a few months now. However, the Lasix has done nothing for Little Bunny. I would never recommend someone try Lasix unless it was a severe case of sludge, and I think yours is.

Also, if you give veggies, soaking them has really helped me. It gives them more water to help push the sludge through.

Claire, is correct with the incision attracting sludge. The vet said that sludge will sit in that area and will probably never go away, but it is a small amount.

I don't know if this may help but there was a "post" in my topic called "Lets talk salt licks"(Nutrition and Behavior)where someone read that giving a bun a salt lick will cause him/her to drink more water which can help flush the bladder out? My bun has had a salt lick for 5+ years. I don't see anything abnormal in Cuddles from it.

When I read about surgery on a bun - it's scary - whether it’s needed or not. My Cuddles needed surgery back in July 2010 (hysterectomy) and it was a heartbreaking experience. She recovered 100% but it took about 1 week before we noticed improvement.

Hope things work out.

I am not a fan of salt licks personally because they're not necessary. If you need to get your bunny a lot of fluids, a large amount of sub-cutaneous fluids is the best way.

Bill,
How are things going? I have been thinking about you and Jack.

I am happy to hear that Jack is doing better.

I totally understand you dreading the next episode. I hope whatever you decide to do next works. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back