Supporting Your Rabbits In Tough Time$

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
free toys? - go to your local hardware store or massive warehouse store and a lot of the time they have a section at the front for free cardboard boxes.

our bunnings near us has a massive bin full of clean unwaxed cardboard boxes in all different shapes and sizes, some long tunnelly ones, some small ones some big ones. we just get a couple and chuck it in the boys hutches and they chew it up, play with it, dig it, rip it or completely ignore it... it doesnt really matter cause its free :)

and we've noticed our boys prefer playing with boxes and toilet rolls more than any store bought toys >.<

One of my rabbit's favorite games is bowling the butter box. She has a small box that was from stick butter that she will push out of her house door. I am then expected to return the box to the top right away so she can toss it out again! It has been a great and free way to play together! So many of the things I use in the kitchen have good boxes for both the rabbit and gerbils.

Plan purchases ahead. Many of us live in urban and suburban places and of course it is the farms where hay can be had cheapest. With gas costs these days you would not want to travel 100 miles just to get hay, but if you are planning to go out to rural areas anyway- for a family reunion or other travel, plan ahead, contact a farm or two, and see if you can stock up with hay for much less money.

cheap and easy fun treat/toy!

take the tub from the inside of a toilet roll and stuff it with hay/grass and hide some treats inside of the hay. my buns can spend hours playing about with this and getting their treats!

I've been asking friends (and work, since I work in a kitchen) for their extras - carrot tops, lettuce, the 'feathers' on celery, etc., or other veggies that are going bad or they aren't going to eat for whatever reason.

I also am planting a garden for my bunnies, made mostly of dandelion seeds. They'll grow quickly, and I can harvest it often. The seeds are completely free - just nick 'em from a place where you know no pesticides are sprayed.

There's also several locally owned organic shops in my city, and with a bit of busing around at night I can pick up lots of fresh veggies that aren't saleable, that they put outside for people to pick up. They also put cut-off parts. If you're really courageous (it is illegal technically), dumpster-diving is a good option. Haven't got to that point yet.

I have to live cheaply because I'm in college, but my bunnies get the best stuff I can get them.

:clapping:

Wonderful ideas!

I have found the favorite toys are repurposed household items. I make castles out of empty cereal boxes, oatmeal boxes, toilet paper roles, etc. Bunnies have fun exploring and rearranging them.

Buying timothy hay in bulk works really well. Last year I bought a 50lb bale and it lasted the whole year for one bunny and I keep multiple boxes full of it around the bunny room for food, litter, play and digging.

Latest posts

Back