supplement feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dainerra

Reaction score
I am going to double post this here and in the breeding area, just to make sure it gets seen by someone "in the know"

I have already talked to my vet, but he agreed that checking here would be a good idea as well.

March 11, Twilight 1 1/2 yr old mixed-breed doe gave birth to 7 kits. She is feeding and taking great care of them. I check 2X a day and they have always had full tummies. However, one of them is smaller than the others - not uncommon in larger litters I'm sure. It wasn't a problem the first couple of days - the size difference wasn't that great and the smallest was definitely holding her(his?) own.

Now, though, the difference is REALLY noticeable. Even though I can tell that the little one has been able to get food, I worry if she is getting enough? The smallest keeps ending up on the bottom of the pile, getting easily pushed out of the way by the bigger kits.

The point is, what (and should) I supplement feed? The vet said that they usually use a mix of goat milk, kitten replacer, etc to feed orphaned wild bunnies. However, he said that since the baby is eating from mother, that it would be ok to give a small feeding of just kitten milk replacer once a day.

Any opinions on this? Or should I just keep an eye the little one? I would rather step in and head off trouble before it begins.

Almost forgot to add - it is possible that this baby is just smaller. Mom is a large mixed doe while Dad was a small, mini ?? that was about 1/8 her size.

If its eating and has a full tummy and is just as active as the others I wouldn't suppelment it any food. Just make sure its belly is always full.

Being a runt isn't a food issue. I always thought it was a genetic thing? The animals just smaller and weaker. (not always weaker).

If nothing else hold momma down and let it have an extra nursing time. Just nothing is as good as natural milk from momma.

I mentioned that this is the runt just because I am concerned that the size difference will make it hard for her to fight for a nipple against the bigger guys.

i would just keep an eye on the little guy. if he/she is getting lots of milk from the mom and isnt getting harmed by the bigger kits than the little one should be okay. just continue checking that he/she isnt getting overly bullied.

Latest posts

Back