SunnieBunnie

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m.e.

Reaction score
I just had a few questions, and it'd be nice to get an expert opinion on :)

1) Grooming Rex fur - what's the best way to do this? When he startsmolting, I usually just hold him and pluck the little tufts of hairoff. I'm afraid a brush will be too rough because his fur is so fine.During the "off season", I just rub him over with a lightly dampenedpaper towel, to remove extra hair. Is there anything else, or are theyrelatively low maintenance. Peanut is a shaggy ole' bun, so it seemslike he barely needs any attention compared to her.

2) We initially had him on a wire-floored cage, but he developed opensores on his hocks from the wire. Now we have it covered in straw. Haveyou noticed that Rex's have a harder time with the wire on their feet,perhaps because of their delicate hair? What do you do for sore hocks(his are healed, but still red)?

Here's my gorgeous boy (he's shaggy here, this was during moult; he's all shiny now :D)

MVC-007F.jpg

I have heard people say they use preperation Hhemmerroid cream.I have seen more cases of sore feet in mini rex thanother breeds.I brush them with a boar bristle brush.bluebird

Thanks! I wasn't sure if anyone else had much experience with them :DWhere would I find a boar bristle brush??

My bunny Roger had sore hocks and i used aantibotic cream and then put vasoline on it. They healed and grew newfur. He isnt a rex though. I still have him in thesame cage but lined with cardboard. good luck with your bunnies feet.

Cristy

Hiya!

For me, grooming is done during a heavy molt and for show prep... I usea fine tooth comb (like those small black combs you get at thestore)... and I gradually start at the tail and hindquarters, runningmy hand up while Icomb down. This loosens up a lotof that dead undercoat that's been sittingthere.Then I hand pluck some left overs that are at the surface before I takea groomers stone to it. The groomers stone helps "cut theends" off of guard hairs and removes the rest of the dead hairs at thesurface. After that I rub them with damp (not drippingwet)hands opposite of how the hair grows.AndVoilà!

Resized_grooming.jpg

As far as sore hocks and abcesses go. I haven't had anyproblems with them here - it is suggested that sore hocksarelinked to genetic tendencies -in other words, if you haveMini Rex with well furred feet, then breed those togetherintoyour lines and you canimprove the likely hoodthat your rabbits will not getsore hocks. BUT, justin case, I do have sitting mats in all of my cages as a preventativemeasure.

(I blew up this picture to get a better look of my sitting mats, they're the white things at the front by the cage doors)
Resized_My%20Pictures0001b.jpg

That's one handsomeboy you got there! Just bethankfulI only do chocolate based Mini Rex colors, otherwiseI'd have to bunnynaphim!

~Sunshine

m.e. wrote:
What do you do for sore hocks (his are healed, but still red)?
I would suggest putting on (as some others suggested) Prep H ointmentor any other Anti-fungal cream. Depending on how serious itis or how long you've been trying to treat it, try alternating theAnti-fungal cream and some Vaseline every 8-12hrs. If it's anabcess (looks like a redlumpwith or without a"whitehead") - you'll have to pop it and get out all of the puss andgunk so it can heal over.

One of my friends is currently dealing with this problem, and this isthe method she's using... so far it is clearing up, the biggestdifference noticed in the first week of treatment.... now it's startingto grow hair back.

~Sunshine

Latest posts

Back