Sunflower seeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I feed Pebbles sunflower seeds used for birdseed. She eats the shell and all. Buck mentionedthat he uses it during the winter to help keep his bunnieswarm. I hear that the oil in the seed conditions their hairso they have that shiny look.

Rainbows! :)

I just gave Apollo a small handful thismorning to see what he thought of them.:shock:He was tryingto tear the cage down trying to get more, I couldn't believe it. It waskind of scary how much he liked them. What a treat, wow, and they arecheap which I love.

Tina

Once in a great while their will be what i think is a sunflower seed in my bunnies good.

I use the untreated seeds you feed to birds. I tried one and without the salt..YUCKY!

I created a Monster indeed.:X Everytime I walk in the kitchen Ihave an 18 pound monster standing right up begging for more.:shock: Ortrying to take apart his cage:?He is hard to say noto.:)

Tina

Black sunflower seeds are ok to give the buns.

They are considered a "hot" food andare often giventohelp buns gerenate additional body heat in the winter time.

Too many will make for a chubbie-bunnie, though.

Stephanie wrote:
(for me...and maybe my buns can have a couple)

Make sure it's NOT the salted ones, I don't think it's good for them.

Here is the post that Buck wrote:

Other bird seed might, if fact, be dangerous. I have noknowledge of that, but black sunflower seed is often recommendedin small quantities to provide fat producing energy to combat coldtemperatures for outside rabbits.

As mentioned, it is a "hot" food, high in fats, and not recommended forsummer time fare. I do dispense a bit each morning to myoutside buns on top their regular feed, as well as some oats during thewinter.

Buck

I actually don't give my rabbits seeds anymore,they just don't need the added fat. Back when I was uninformed aboutproper rabbit care (beforethis sitein other words)I used to feed Chompers the kind of food with all the colored bits oftreat stuff in it, chock full of seeds. Well, I learned my lessonquickly!

I am just now having major sunflower seed cravings. lol I do likemunching on peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds and thelikefrom time to time.

Sunflower seeds can be very oilyandhave a high amount of fat in themforrabbits. I'd feed them only to my rabbits in moderation -especially ones that have gone through processing and arenotshelled. A teaspoon or less is the most mine willget.

There are other treats that are better for them, like papaya,greens... Oats are said to have a high level of fat in themas well, which is why I give my rabbits canned pumpkin instead if Ireally want them to get a high dosage of fiber.

You want to be careful of starchy or high fat treats for them.

-Carolyn

Pet_Bunny wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
(forme...and maybe my buns can have a couple)

Make sure it's NOT the salted ones, I don't think it's good for them.

Here is the post that Buck wrote:

Other bird seed might, if fact, be dangerous. I have noknowledge of that, but black sunflower seed is often recommendedin small quantities to provide fat producing energy to combat coldtemperatures for outside rabbits.

As mentioned, it is a "hot" food, high in fats, and not recommended forsummer time fare. I do dispense a bit each morning to myoutside buns on top their regular feed, as well as some oats during thewinter.

Buck

That's the post I was looking for!! Good form Rainbows!!

Good point about needing to be unsalted. I would advise buying the onesthey sell as bird seed for cardinals...even the grocery store has themstocked with the wild bird seed.

Back