Sunflower Seeds and Oats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
I am trying to improve a couple of my JR MR coats before I go to a show in about 9 days. I heard oats, calf manna, and sunflower seed can do this. I can't get any calf manna in time. So I wanted to get more info on how much oats and sunflower seeds to give them. What kind of sunflower seeds, or is sunflower seed oil? Also, I know that I have to get the old fashioned oats. Is there anything else that I can give them to help? They get 1/2 cup of feed a day. Thanks!

Rachel

I mixed black oil sunflower seeds (in the bird seed section) with Muppet's pellets for a while this fall to bulk her up and get a good coat going for winter. It has worked beautifully so far.

Of course, she then started digging her pellets out of the way to get to the sunflower seeds, so I had to seperate them again. So I give her a small handful about once a week as a treat now.

Never tried the other two you mentioned.

I think after talking to some other breeders that it would be best until after the shows. Their last show is the begining of December and then they don't have another one til early February. So I think I will try to get their coat into condition during that time.

Rachel

rcohen1982 wrote:
I think after talking to some other breeders that it would be best until after the shows.
Good plan. You don't want to try or do something just before a show, and cause the rabbits more stress.

You can do just fine without the extra foods. Too much feed, can probably cause other problems. Aswith any foods, you want to introduce it slowly and find how much they can take. Too much oats will gain weight. Too much sunflower seeds can cause a moult. A regular feeding schedule is the best.

Good luck at the show.

Latest posts

Back