Sunburns...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Yesterday I got a bad sunburn, I put Aloe Vera gel on it, and it got really itchy, and red (more red than it was), so I took a shower, thinking I may have had an allergic reaction to it... Today, when I got home (after not a lot of time in the dun, probably only an hour or so), it looked like a rash, with parts that are raised, and itchy... I'm wondering, do you think this is an alergic reaction to the Aloe Vera gel, or just a bad sunburn?

Today I am tired, and my body feels heavy, and I'm hot, could possible havea temperature...

Here are pictures, not great ones - it's really hard to take a picture of your own shoulder!

sunburn2.jpg

(those darker spots on my shouler aren't usualy there)

sunburn3.jpg

(In this one you can see the little raised spots, they're lighter in colour, and you cansee how it looks kind of like a rash)

What do you think?

OUCH! Looks like bad sunburn, and you might have a touch of heatstroke maybe? I remember feeling really sick once after being burnt, I had sunstroke.

Drink plenty of fuilds, and if you think the aloe isn't helping, don't use it. If you are going to shower, make it a nice cool one. Don't scratch or rub at the burnt areas if you can help it.

Looks so sore :(.

We're giving it until morning, and then if it's not better, I'm off to the ER/Hospital... *sighs* I'm a terrible accident magnent...

Oh, it's sore, and itchy, and OUCH!

Heatstroke is when the person has been exposed to too much sun. When this happens their body temperaturefails to regulate it's own temperature. The person normally because unconcious for a few moments, hard time breathing, fast heart beat, and even maybe vomiting and diarrhea. I don't believe that applies to this situation, then again I'm not a doctor.

Here's some information from WebMD.com on sunburns.
Self-Care at Home

Home care starts before a sunburn. If you are prepared before going out in the sun, you probably won't need these tips and techniques.
  • Immediate self-care is aimed at stopping the UV radiation.

• Get out of the sun
    • Cover exposed skin
    • Get out of the tanning bed

• Relief of the discomfort becomes important.

• Medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen , and naproxen are useful, especially when started early.
    • For mild sunburn, cool compresses with equal parts of milk and water may suffice. You may also use cold compresses with Burow solution. You can buy this at a drugstore. Dissolve 1 packet in 1 pint of water. Soak gauze or a soft clean cloth in it. Gently wring out the cloth and apply to the sunburned area for 15-20 minutes. Change or refresh the cloth and solution every 2-3 hours
    • Anyone raised in a beach community knows the secret of aloe-based lotions. There are many commercially available types. Ask the pharmacist at your local drugstore. Tearing apart your aloe plant in the yard and applying the cool jellylike substance inside the leaves is no longer necessary
    • Cool (not ice cold) baths may help. Avoid bath salts, oils, and perfumes because these may produce sensitivity reactions. Avoid scrubbing the skin or shaving the skin. Use soft towels to gently dry yourself. Don't rub. Use a light, fragrance-free skin moisturizer.
    • Avoid lotions that contain topical anesthetic medications because you can become sensitized and then allergic to that medicine.
    • Obviously, stay out of the sun while you are sunburned.
Medical Treatment
Silver sulfadiazine (1% cream, Thermazene) can be used for treatment of sunburn with appropriate cautions about use on the face.

• If your case is mild and not life threatening, the doctor may simply suggest plenty of fluids, aspirin, or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs).
  • Additional topical measures such as cool compresses, Burow solution soaks, or high-quality moisturizing creams and lotions may be prescribed.
  • If your case is severe enough (sun poisoning), oral steroid therapy (cortisone like medications) may be prescribed for several days. Steroid creams placed on the skin show minimal to no benefit.
  • Stronger pain-relieving medication may be prescribed in certain cases.
  • If you have blistering, steroids may be withheld to avoid an increased risk of infection. If you are dehydrated or suffering from heat stress , IV fluids will be given, and you may be admitted to the hospital. People with very severe cases may be transferred to the hospital's burn unit.

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

I've had really terrible burns before (I'm a freckled-face redhead with blue eyes!) and have also had sun poisoning. And, honestly, it looked similar to yours. Are the raised spots blisters? Or are they just itchy? Is the "rash" weeping at all? Have you ever had an allergic reaction to the sun before? I also have reactions to the sun and that, too, looks similar to what you've got there. Either way it was no fun, very painful, and needed medical attention.

Fevers are not uncommon with bad sunburns. Please take care of yourself and get to a doctor if need be - any lightheadedness and faintness should mean an immediate trip to the ER. If you're feeling really bad, I wouldn't wait until morning.

Please let us know how you're doing. Feel better, hon!

You don't even have to get burnt to have heatstroke, I have gotten it from too much exercise (indoors) before. It's not fun at all, but yeah I think you'd know if you had that, you'd feel dizzy and sick and can often become agressive even, though I'm not sure why that happens. It happens when your temp gets too hot and your body can't cool you down.

It's really such a bad idea to allow yourself to get sunburnt, don't want you getting skin cancer when you are older :(.

Getting sunburnt is like cooking your skin almost, so it can make you feel pretty yuck. Hope the doctors can help you :hug:.

Edited to add this link, hope it helps! It's a sunburn checklist, if you answer yes to a bunch I think it means you need medical treatment.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/sunburn-check-your-symptoms

Wow, that looks painful. I think you have Sun Poisoning... my daughter had it two years ago, and I've had it way too many times to admit (I'm so fair skinned, I just burn!).

If you want a homeopathic remedy for it, take regular instant oatmeal (quaker oats or whatever is available) and mix it with water until it's thick enough to form a paste like consistency. Cover it and chill for about 15 minutes. Remove from fridge and plaster the mixture all over the areas of 'itchy bumps' or hives. It looks super gross, like you've thrown up all over yourself.
Leave this on for 15 minutes at least, 30 if you have the time to spare.
Jump in the shower and rinse the half hardened stuff off of your person and then pat dry and use some medicated powder/cornstarch to keep the area dry. Do not use a lotion. Take some Benadryl for the itch, but just mix the oats with water. I've tried mixing it with aloe vera, or calomine lotion....just works better in reducing the inflamation of the hives with just the water.

You can also take an oatmeal bath (Aveeno sells a packet you pour in a tub of cool water and soak in. Not as good as an oatmeal paste, but it will cool the burn.)

Hope you feel better quickly.

It wasn't bad at all this morning, not red, no itchy, at first, then it has gotten worse over the day, now it's itchy, and getting red and blotchy again if I scratch it... I'm going to try the oatmeal thing at 5 (It's 4:30 now) so I can watch a 1/2 hour show, then hop into the shower....

GAH! I have NEVER had a sunburn that itched before! :(

Just be prepared, if it itches like that,the skin isgoing to peel... try not to scratch. It's been badly damaged and you actually have tiny blisters between the layers of skin. (Just like if you burned yourself on the stove!) So all that skin will have to regenerate.

Cool soaks in the tub will help.

Yup, it's not so bad right now, gets itchy every once in a while, but then it's fine... I didn't get to do the oatmeal thing, we don't have any, but I'm off to cuddle with Ash again, that'll keep me distracted.

Latest posts

Back