Summer- the risks and tips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilingbunnies

Reaction score
It's Summer now, and this opposes of new risks to our buns.

Heat stroke, dehydration, fly strike, myxomatosis and also wasps are just a handful of the dangers.

But what can I do to keep my rabbit safe? Below are some ways I have found keeping my rabbits safe.

---------------------------------

Protecting from HEAT

1. Make sure your rabbit's environment is between 10-20°C- rabbits aren't good with extreme temperatures.

2. Give your bunny a damp towel to lay on. However, DON'T ever put your rabbit it a cold bath- it will put them in shock often causing death.

3. Dampen the tips of your rabbits ears- rabbits dissipate heat through their ears.

4. Use a fan (or place a damp towel in front on the fan to create your own AC) but don't directly point it to your rabbit(s) and watch the cable!

5. Make shade! You can use multiple car shades (pictured below) or anything. Be careful your rabbit doesn't chew it!

-----------------------------------

Protecting from FLY STRIKE

1. Check your bunnies bottom daily or better a few times a day to make sure it's clean.

2. Trim the hair on your bunnies bottom if it's getting lots of poops stuck in it.

3. NEVER bath you rabbit, but do use a damp cloth to clean their bottom.

4. If your rabbit has lots of cecotropes or diarrhoea talk to your vet- it could be a sign of an obese bunny or an unsuitable diet.

5. Use mosquito nets to keep bugs (including flies) away.

NOTE: If you see flies on your rabbits bottom, take them to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Fly Strike is a big killer.

Protecting from MYXOMATOSIS:

1. The best way to protect form myxomatosis is to get your rabbit vaccinated against it- speak to your vet about this.

2. Myxomatosis is often spread through biting insects so try and rid of them with a mosquito net.

3. Indoor rabbits are at slightly less risk of getting myxo, however it's is still possible.

4. Keep your rabbits away from pet dogs, cats etc. who may be carrying rabbit fleas from catching one.

Protecting from DEHYDRATION:

1. Check your rabbits water bowl/bottle a few times a day to ensure it's not empty and they are drinking it.

2. Provide water in both methods (bowl and bottle) to seek your rabbits preference.

3. Use a bottle cover to keep the bottle cool or ice cubes in the bowl to keep it cool.

NOTE: If your rabbit I
hadn't been drinking, take them to the vets IMMEDIATELY. It is likely very serious.

--------------------------------

Other Summer tips:

1. Check hutches for potential wasps nets if they're outdoor.

2. Keep rabbits well away from BBQ's.

3. Provide lots of hay/ grass and even go foraging (the RWAF have an excellent guide on this).

-------------------------------------

Please feel free to share any further tips you may have!

Thank you. View attachment ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1468916045.542885.jpg

It's a good post. I got my mother to install a mosquito net in front of the window some years ago and it's indeed a relief to have it there even if my rabbits are vaccinated.

About deshydratation, I provide wet grass / leafy greens (like chicory, batavia lettuce, dandelions...) two or three times a day, as my rabbits (especially Tybalt) won't drink a lot on their own. My rabbits don't like damp things but they will lay on something cold like marble or tiles so I put two or three of them in a shady part of their room and they spend lots of time on them.
It's 40° Celsius where I live these days and with just that (of course, the shutters are half closed all day), my rabbits don't look like they are suffering much.
Of course, it's easier to keep rabbits cool when they live inside...

I recently research protection against flies.
Cloves wrapped in cheesecloth, hung around bunnies residence. Same with circles/slices of lemon with cloves inserted in lemon.
Good results are promised if you plant basil in your yard - I haven't tried it myself.

Here is a great resource about flies
http://www.getridoffliesguide.com/

PS. some rabbits don't drink water (mine) or drink very little.I guess they just get water from eating grass and veggies. Not sure. But the water bowl always stays full.

Latest posts

Back