Summer project - hit or miss - should I take the risk?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinksalamander

Reaction score
I'm currently working on my summer project for my art and design course at uni and I'm really struggling with it..... I started making what I'd thought about as my final piece but it just isn't working, so I'm trying to just think outside the box. I've come up with another idea which I really like but its a big risk as to whether it would be amazingly original and interesting, or a complete flop...

Basically my project was to create a sculpture of a bird that somehow carries something form my personality. In actual fact the brief described it as 'if you evolved into a bird, which personality trait do you think would stay with you?' and it asked us to make a sculpture of this bird...

Now my original idea was to use the medium of books. I did a few different tests using paper in interesting ways, this is because I have a strong love of words and writing and books, and I figured what bird best represents a book-lover than an owl?

So I worked on this, a flat version of what I intended to do in 3D.

HOWEVER. As much as I love this it just ISN'T working. I can't seem to get the basic shape of the owl to work at all in 3D. I've tried doing it in newspaper to paper mache but the shape just WILL NOT go together no matter how many random bits of newspaper I screw up and try and contort into some strange bird shape. It just isn't happening.

So I started thinking outside the box and thought of a way I could do some sot of 'sculpture' without having to actually make a solid shape of an owl.

The idea I came up with was to make a tiny owl, only about the size of my hand, out of paper fibre stuff (I have this glue that turns normal paper into flexible fabric type stuff and I'm pretty good at sewing). It would just be a basic owl shape, with basic details, nothing particularly realistic looking (similar to this)

I then had the idea of cutting a secret 'compartment' inside the cover of a hardback book, so that the tiny sculpture is kept tidy inside what appears to be a closed book.

Now I love this idea, but I'm just not sure if its what the project is supposed to be. I've spoken to lots of other people who are all doing little bird sculptures decorated in a particular way. This is COMPLETELY different to what anyone else is doing. If I did it, the course leaders might look at it and think 'wow, she's really thought outside the box and made something completely different to everyone else!' They could also look at it and go 'what the hell is it?'

What should I do? Do I take the risk of doing something which would be completely different to everyone elses, and therefore amazing, or could be completely NOT what they asked for? I just don't know what to do!

:ponder: the brief does say which personality trait and one aspect of your personality is your creativity - something you express thru your sewing and fabric art. also the colours used in the sewn owl are bright and vibrant - which you are! and sewing is a fibre art! which incorporates many aspects of paper arts. im sure you often sketch out an idea for a garment say. obviously i cant see the whole brief but did it say what the sculpture had to be made of? if not, then it is open to artistic intepretation:) i would say you are thinking outside the box and showing the tutors your creative ability!

by all means,heartlaybun/donna is right. That's what i would do. I'm more into working with clay than anything else(Sewing is not a strong point for me) but the second one looks to be more inviting than the first. if with the 3d one you also make a book out of the colorful fabric and have him holding it under a wing, kind of like a student/scholar would do to carry it around to express your love of the books.

I love both ideas. Go with what you can do. Now if you don't like how it turns out do you have time to do something else?

JadeIcing wrote:
I love both ideas. Go with what you can do. Now if you don't like how it turns out do you have time to do something else?

Not really, I leave home on Saturday morning and have yet to pack!!

Anyway, I've sort of come to a middle ground. After battling with pieces of newspaper all evening I finally managed to get a shape that somewhat represents an owl! Its not as good as I would have liked, but I'm so pressed for time and its just a bit weight on my shoulders at the moment so it will have to do, and I'm growing to love him (see! I've started referring to it as him!) I still like the idea of having the smaller owl inside the book, this one is a bit too big, unless I can find a MASSIVE thick book that I can put a cavity inside then it will have to be the model on its own.

Sounds awesome can't wait to see.

I've got some pics. He is still very much unfinished. Still needs eyes, a beak, ears, feet and WINGS (which means more feathers... groan) and he's still partially bald because I ran out of feathers, and its half past two in the morning and I think if I dare cut any more out my arms might fall off.

Here is the shape part of him:

8720_151665516064_707061064_3007481_3240265_n.jpg

Here is him painted brown (he looks like a big poo, which is why I started referring to him as 'turd burd':

8720_151722581064_707061064_3007818_1895467_n.jpg

Here is him with his 'winter vest'

8720_151722371064_707061064_3007816_3447547_n.jpg

And head (you can't see his bald patch)

8720_151763201064_707061064_3008107_8330722_n.jpg

This picture made me start referring to him as 'Lord Turd Burd'

8720_151763196064_707061064_3008106_7805469_n.jpg

Each of the feathers was cut out and individually glued in place, hence why I can no longer feel my arms.

The feathers for the wings are going to be larger so hopefully that will mean less sticking. They are however going to be twice as thick to get the 'fullness' I want. Haven't decided what to make his facial features out of.

I love him! I would so put him in my apartment.

oh i like him!!nice taste in books he has too - especially the one on decorated initials and the hound of the baskervilles:biggrin2: could it be that he expresses your love of books?

Amazing! Make me one. :p

wow he looks great! I was just thinking is this what you meant by putting a cavity in a book? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8W58xK5zFg[/ame]
If not then it may give you a idea of how to do it.
lol turd bird he may of been but now he is definatly a wonderful majestic owl.

Back