Suggestions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Hey! Well I want a new camera for x-mas, and I dont know what kind is good :(

I want one that is good for action shots (BINKIES!!)

and that can take good pictures when the flash is off, since I only take pics of Phinn when it is off, or else he looks strange.

So yeah, just an all around good camera, especially good with pets/bunnies :p

Well, it kind of depends on what you're after exactly. Most cameras have a flash control (anything that didn't would drive most people completely batty, I would think!). For action shots, you want something with a quick shutter reaction, or you'll be getting lots of nice shots of carpet. A shorter exposure is also useful for action shots, so you might want either something with a "setting" for action stuff, or a camera that lets you set the exposure time.

The most important thing for you to think about is what you want and/or need. Do you want something professional grade, where you can control everything manually, or would a nice point-and-shoot type thing float your boat? Another thing you need to consider is your price range. Like anything, you can throw as much money at a camera as you want.

In any case, I highly recommend you try checking out www.dpreview.com It has reviews and comparisons for all types of cameras, from basic point-n-shoot to the tippy top level DSLRs.

Good luck!

Greta :camera and the gang :brownbunny :brownbunny :bunny19 :bunny19

Do not ever get a Nikon Coolpix 4600 4MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

It's the worst camera I ever had. Takes horrible pictures and everything. You will never get the shot you wanted, you will get the shot 5 seconds later.

So if you are ever thinking "Hmmm, I want a really cheap camera" DO NOT EVER GET THIS.

Example: It wasn't even bluish outside. :/ Stupid settings are whacked up.

dscn4309ca5.jpg

:)

So sometimes I use my dad's camera.

It's a Sony Cybershot DSC-H2 6MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilization Zoom.

It's not the best in the world, but it's pretty good.

Action shot:

dsc02606kd6.jpg

gagahah7ix8.jpg

Macro:
maceybylmontanalax8.jpg

dsc02716od6sa1.jpg

slavetoabunny wrote:
I just bought a Canon S5 about two weeks ago and love it!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

I'm still working on figuring out how to use all the feature. The best thing about it is the quick recovery time between pictures. I missed so many great shots with my old camera because it took so much time to reset.
I have the S3 and it's good too, but it's less expensive. My action setting has a little bit of trouble keeping up with Wash, but it ends up taking very good photos and it has some really fun settings to play with.

In digitals I've used 4 different models of Kodaks and have been quite pleased with every one.

If you want something that is a zoom, you'll want to read about the difference in optical & digital zoom. My current Kodak is a 10x optical, 4x digital and takes awesome shots. It has some special settings, including a sports setting that works well for all types of actions photos.

Another thing I LOVE about my camera is that it has a rechargeable battery and came with a camera recharging dock. No need to remove the battery. I simply place the camera on the dock. It holds the charge for an incredible amount of time. That may be something you are interested in.

I've also used Canons that I've been pleased with. My advice would be to stay away from Konica/Minolta. I've found their color off - kind of yellowish.

You might find that ordering one on-line is less costly than from a store. But I would recommend that you make certain that the on-line dealer is reputable and that you actually handle the model you are ordering ina store and make certain it's what you want.

Megapixels is another issue. You can print quality 4x6 photos with a 4MP camera. So many are 6-7MP anymore, and that will cost you. Truly, anything above 7MP is probably more than the average amateur photographer needs - unless you are big on having enlargements made from your photos.

Good luck finding the camera that suits your needs! It's great that you're doing your research early.

I LOOOVE Canon. I have an A85, and it's fine except that I dropped it, and the ONE thing that no longer works is the ability to make it on action mode.... and I use it for photographing running, jumping, playing horses :(

My dream camera is the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, but I cannot get myself to spend that for a camera... I thought I would... then I had the money (from selling a horse) and had the camera in my hands... I just could NOT do it.

So, I will get either the S3 or S5 someday soonish (sometime in 2008, or maybe hubby will get it for me for Christmas... right now I"m saving up for my next dog lol)

Jessi

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Everyone has good suggestions. The link they showed is a good place to preview the different cameras (check the links in the top left corner)....

http://www.dpreview.com/

As with point and shoot type of cameras, you are limited with what you can do. No matter what camera you get, you just have to get out and do alot of shooting, and learn what your camera can do to get the most of it. I know several members havethe Canon A710 IS and they are very happy with it.

It just depends how much you want to spend, and what features and size of camera suits you.
And the photographer takes the picture, not the camera. Having the newest camera, or the most expensive camera isn't going to make you a better photographer.

For your action shots (BINKIES!!), go outside where there is lots of sunlight.

jqrmet.jpg

The abovepicture has a sharp background, but Bebe is blurry because she is moving too fast for the shutter speed.

67ikn4.jpg

If you pan your camera with Bebe, thenshe is in focus and the background is blurred.

Both pictures are taken at 1/350 sec, ISO 500

I must have the oldest and worst camera on RO!

I have a 4 year old Sony Cyber-Shot, it's only 3.2 mega pixels and 2 x optical zoom.

I really like the images it produces, although it's utterly terrible under low-light conditions, even using the flash there can be a lot of noise. However outside it makes good use of natural light and I like the colours it reproduces, very close to real-life, and it doesn't have much distortion, noise, darkended corners or purple edging around objects.

I'm looking at a second hand Sony DSC-H2 for my birthday, I'm not after anything too complicated to use as a novice camera person, but it's enough of a step up for me to make a difference in my shooting.

My partners mother just bought herself a Panasonic Lumix something-or-other, not sure of the exact model name but it's a 7MP camera with 10x zoom I think. It takes very nice clear pictures but way out of my price range.

Having such an old camera, I'm hoping to get another chunky feeling one, I hate these tiny rectangles that are around now.

However, if I was rich, I'd be heading straight out to get a Nikon D2Xs digital SLR. Cost = around $6,000 here!

After seeing MBBs awesome pics (and consulting with the all-knowing Stan) I decided on the Canon A710 and I love it. The pics are awesome andmovie mode is wonderful. It takes amazing pics when youre outside. And it also has this "burst" option when youre in indoor mode you can hold down the button and it takes several pics in a row-great for bunny binky shots.

My brother bought the cheaper version, the Canon A570 and he loves it. The main difference is the Image Stabilization feature, which is pretty great but you can live without if you need a cheaper camera.

PS. I cant remember who was asking me last time about where I got it on sale, but Circuit City has it on sale again with a photo printer on their web page!

That's right. Only you have to determine what you need.

NZminilops,if you were rich ... for $2000 you can get the new Nikon D300 which is going to beway better than the Nikon D2Xs. :dude:
It's not out yet, but people are putting their names (like me...) on a waiting list to get one. Technology is changing so fast and the prices keep coming down.

I went to a camera show 2 weeks ago, and spoke with the Nikon Rep.

nq70xw.jpg

30xg3dv.jpg

The new Nikon D300 is on the left, the Nikon D40X in the middle, and the Nikon D200 (what I have) is on the right.

Oh Stan, those cameras are so beautiful, they should be illegal!

My grandma was a photographer and she has a beautiful old Nikon, I have my name down in her will as the reciever :p. Unfortunatly it was made in the days where you had to use film, which is all new to me :shock:.

NZminilops wrote:
I must have the oldest and worst camera on RO!

I have a 4 year old Sony Cyber-Shot, it's only 3.2 mega pixels and 2 x optical zoom.

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot as well. It's a 4.1 mega pixel and has 3x optical zoom.

I hate it. It is a peice of crap :grumpy:, but I have had it for a while.

I definitely need to update my camera, though I am looking at going halfs with Ryan on a new laptop during the holiday sales coming up. Maybe I can force myself to save more and get a nice new camera as well!

NZminilops wrote:
My grandma was a photographer and she has a beautiful old Nikon,
Lucky you. I have a Nikon F2S over 30 years old and it still works like a charm. Did you know most of the old lenses will fit the newer cameras. I've used some of my 25 year old lenses on the Nikon D200. Too bad the film is dying out. They still produce a better picture than the digital.

1zbbehv.jpg

Another shot of the Nikon D300.

2cgydj6.jpg

Here is some new Canon cameras.

I still like my cyber-shot, it's ok for showing people what my bunnies look like anyway :D.

I just keep seeing all these new cameras and my eyes start to gleam :shock:.

I tried explaining to my partner about getting a better camera to take better pictures of bunnies - he didn't get it at all! He asked me

"do the bunnies still look the same today as they did yesterday, when you took like 500 pictures of them?"

"well, yeah...but..."

"and doesn't this set of pics you just took, look just like the set you took last month?"

"yeah....but..."

"do people like your pictures of the rabbits?"

"of course, but..."

"well, then your camera is fine"

"oh, ok then"

I live in a small town and am limited to what our Walmart carries - or maybe buying off the net. I had a Kodak EasyShare and loved it - till it died. It was hard on batteries but I loved that thing.

Then I got a Nikon CoolPix 4800 with 8.3X zoom. I like it. I don't love it. I like some of the features it offers (like panorama help).

I'm thinking about setting aside my money over the next year or so to save up for something nicer - and then having Stan pick it out for me and I'll order it online. I'd love to steal his camera and use it - BUT - as he pointed out - the shots are taken by the user and not just the camera.

Peg

Back