Suddenly lethargic bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second what majorv said. Don't limit the pellets too much. As she gets older (when she's about a year old), you're going to want to start limiting the amount of pellets she gets so she won't get fat. Since she is still developing, she is going to need the nutrients in those. The majority of her diet should still be hay, but don't deprive her of pellets as they contain important nutrients that aid in her development.

I would still give her veggies after awhile, but make them a treat. Just give her a few pieces of veggies. I generally feed my buns some pieces of lettuce once a day or once every few days just as a treat thing.

I'm glad to hear she's in good health though.

JBun mentioned tha 1/2 a cup daily is what she should be on so that is what she is getting at the moment. Is that a good amount?

That's a good start, but if she's eating them all and still acting hungry then you can increase it. Harlequins are a medium size breed and does will usually get to 7-9 pounds as adults.

1/2 cup is just a general amount to start with for a small breed bunny. If your bunny is the Harlequin breed(not just the color of a different breed), then they seem to be more of a medium size rabbit, so you may want to feed closer to 2/3-1 cup a day. After your bun has been doing good for a few more days, acting normal, and poops are normal, you may want to gradually increase the amount of pellets each day, until you get up to the 2/3-1 cup amount. It's really going to depend on your bunny. If your bunny grazes on pellets and hay all day, and doesn't eat her pellets all at once and eats a good amount of hay, then you could give her closer to a cup or more, to where she is just running out of them right before the next feeding time, because she would self regulate the amount she eats. If your bun just chows down on pellets, and won't eat much hay if there are pellets, then you do want to limit them so that your bunny will also eat hay. My bunnies were like that, and what I did was cut their pellets back to an amount, so that they ran out of pellets about 3 hours before the next feeding time, then they would have to eat their hay. I fed twice a day. Only if your bunny starts getting noticably fat or starts getting soft poops, would you need to cut the pellets back a little more. When she gets to be around 7 months old, you you will want to cut back on pellets a little more, to about 1/2 cup per 6 lb body weight. Then at a year old you will feed the adult amount of 1/4-1/2 cup per 6 lb body weight. It does vary with each rabbit. If your rabbit seems to put on weight easily, then you may have to go more towards the lower amount, or if your rabbit is very active and slim and doesn't keep weight on well, you may have to go with the higher amount. Just always keep an eye one your bunny to make sure that with the amount you are feeding, she stays at a healthy weight and doesn't get boney or chubby. It's just a bit of a balance act with rabbits. You just have to find out what works best for your rabbit, cause all rabbits are different.

It didn't seem like the pellets were the cause of the problem though. I would be more inclined to think that the cabbage was the culprit. So as long as you don't feed her cabbage again, she should be fine. You may also want to stay away from other cruciferous veggies, just in case she is sensitive to all of them. When she's 12 weeks, you can start introducing veggies again. Just start with one at a time and in small amounts and gradually increase, as long as there aren't any soft poops or stomach upset. Also limit sugary veggies like carrots and fruit as well.

Last edited:
Cabbage and its relatives are most definitely off the feeding list from now on!

She is eating all the pellets I am giving her at the moment, as soon as I put the bowl down she has her head in it and doesn't stop until they are all gone. She gets half her amount after we've eaten and got ready in the mornings and then the other half when we eat ourselves in the evenings. In the middle she has been munching happily on her hay.

Just curious, what does a normal weight rabbit feel like? Harley is nowhere near being overweight or chubby but you can feel her bones when you stroke her.

Sounds like you could increase her pellets then. I did a little research and found that the breed was used for meat during WW II, so since it is considered a "commercial" rabbit then you shouldn't feel the back/hip bones on a Harlequin. Your bunny is still young...you might start weighing her so you can track her weight. We use a digital postal scale and set a shoebox on top to put the rabbit in for weighing.

Back