Suddenly doesnt want hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nibbler

Nibs
Reaction score
As of the last few days Nibs hasn't touched her hay. I thought she might just be bored with the meadow hay so I picked up a bag of oat hay (both from Oxbow ). Today she still is only eating her pellets. She digs out the hay to eat the pellets. Should I be concerned and should I talk with the vet about it tomorrow?

Does she normally eat her hay well? Have you made any food changes recently- new bag of hay, increase in pellets or other food? Have you noticed her trying to chew pieces of hay and having difficulty chewing or dropping food out of her mouth? You could try some other types of hay to see if she's just being particular about her hay, but often when a rabbit goes off of a certain food it can be due to dental issues. So you will want a vet to check her teeth tomorrow if you can't manage to get her eating hay again.

She has a dental abscess (it's being treated) that she has been taking metacam and baytril for. She normally would gobble her hay and the abscess hasn't gotten any worse. I haven't changed how many pellets I gI've her. I did change from meadow hay to oat hay though because I thought she was bored with it.

Back