Sudden soft & lots of output

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Kirby's always normally pooped cocoa puff-like poops. They were about that size and texture. It gives when giving it a good squeeze between the fingers. Just now in his litter box I saw some really large looking poops today and thought it was weird. I squeezed them a little bit and they came apart really easily. Is it "soft poo"? They are larger in size, very round and all of them in this set of output are uniform in size and shape. It's the ease of crumbling I'm worried about with his stool...what's going wrong?

Ok so this is going to be add to the complication...
1. Starting 2 days ago I noticed Kirby was peeing a lot. I remember distinctly because my husband who usually doesn't change his litter had just done so that night. He peed 3 times in one night which I thought was strangely much for a rabbit who usually drinks so little. Then this morning I saw his water bowl significantly lower than usual after one night. My Kirby is not usually much of a water drinker. And he took at least 2 big sips last night (which I witnessed). No idea why he's suddenly drinking more water. I just thought maybe he's finally taken a liking to water since he's stabilized in his environment.

2. Kirby's been eating hay like a little monster lately (last week or so). He's been going through his ball of hay almost before the night is over, that's about half the time it usually takes him! I never object to his eating hay so when he eats it all I just stuff the ball with more. I thought that might be related to why he's pooped a bit more than usual the last few days.

3. Just yesterday I added a small handful of ZuPreem orchard grass which he's never had before (for as long as I've had him anyway, he's only had timothy). This afternoon I also gave him a slightly bigger handful of it, and he ate it right up.

4. This morning I gave him 1 piece of dried cranberry which is like 1/3 of an actual cranberry.

5. I gave him 1 teaspoon of pumpkin as a treat this afternoon

Kirby normally eats 1/4 cup of oxbow bbt, 2 plates of fresh greens and unlimited hay. I give him a papaya tablet a day and the occassional treat like a few pieces of dried cranberry, a baby carrot or a teaspoon to tablespoon of pumpkin. He's only had pumpkin twice (this afternoon and last week to get him to poo out some carpet he ate).

Advice? :?Any suggestions on what I should stop feeding him if necessary?

:dutch

The more hay they eat, the more crumbly the poops, and the more water they drink, in my experience. :)

There still could be some carpet fibers in there I suppose, but in general, crumbly poop is good.

I'm not a big fan of papaya tablets myself, but I give mine a ton of veggies and probably more fruit and carrots than I should, so I don't like the extra sugar. (And they sure seem sugary to me).

He sounds great, his care and diet are awesome. :)

Keep an eye on his pee habits, increased water intake can signal some problems, but I doubt that's the case here.

sas :)

Latest posts

Back