Sudden case of poopy butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
Hi all! Well I've been gone for a while here and I have a rabbit issue so I'm back :expressionless.

We had some flies in my office (small ones) where the bunnies now stay. I had meant to clean Hazel's box out a few days before but never got to it. I'm 7.5 months pregnant and it's been a challenge as of late. So I went to clean it and saw a number of small flies.

Of course, I panicked and from 5:30pm yesterday to 1:00am this morning, I was up killing flies and absolutely cleaning their cages and the room top to bottom. It's pretty immaculate.

I went and checked each of the bunnies and found that Hazel did have some matted urine and poop. Then I really panicked. I checked her for fly eggs and maggots all over and I didn't find anything. I tried to get it out with cornstarch, but it was too matted, so I used some warm water and a little bunny shampoo. She was very clean at midnight last night.

Now today, I go to check on her and she has poopy butt again!!! She's never had this before, hasn't had a change in diet at all for years either. So, I had to wash her again tonight. I :think: that she doesn't have any fly issues. The room is fly free and her butt has no more matts on it and is free of poop. My question: Since this is brand new and did seem slightly worse last night, can poopy butt be caused by the stress from the bath?

Hazel is a Dutch/dwarf, Tort, about 3.5 lbs and is about 4 years old. The only health issue she's ever had was an eye infection back in 2007.

Thanks guys!

~Lauren

Only had this problem with a couple of ours, and, cutting back on their vegetables cured it. They don't eat their cecotropes and they would get stuck and then it would compound.

It may have been the stress, but it may be that as she ages she's not tolerating protein as well. What are you feeding her?

I'd push the grass hay and fluids at least for now.

Has she been outside? Is she chubby for her size?

Also, regular house flies aren't much of a worry, it's mainly the flies with the green butts (or bot flies).

Here's a good article:

http://www.rabbit-information.co.uk/fly-strike.php

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back