Sudden behavior change since given free run?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yramnot

Reaction score
My two male holland lops were neutered fairly recently and completed their box training. Since then, I've been allowing them free run of my house. They have access to every room in the house except for my father's room, which has a lot of unprotected wiring. It's been about four or five days, and I've noticed a change in my rabbits' behavior. When they were caged, they were quite friendly to everyone. Since they've been given free run of the house, they've become more... selective.

At present, my rabbits want nothing to do with anyone other than me. Why is this? It's frustrating the other members of my family, because the rabbits won't even allow them to approach. They will run away and hide, and they refuse to take food from anyone else. What's the cause of this? Is there anything I can do to stop it, or will it go away on its own?

I personally think it could just be the bun being exploratory and not wanting any human face time yet. The new territory is just so compelling and exciting that your buns might not be in the mood to play. Give them time, they'll come around.

If they are unfamiliar with their territory they'll be more nervous. It sounds like a big area to explore and scent mark. I would think it will take at least a couple of weeks for it to really feel like theirs.

I figured as much. Why is it that they're only comfortable with me, though? Is it just because I'm the one they're most familiar with? They've always been very submissive to me (they yield to me when I push them aside, fawn over me and groom me, et cetera), and I'm the only one who can physically get down on the floor with them.

Rabbits can identify individual people so if they know you better they'll treat you differently. Getting down on their level is a good way to make close bonds. If that's an issue physically for the other members of your family just sitting/standing with your feet next to the food at dinner time still helps build the link between an individual (and their smell) and a good experience.

Are you the one that feeds them usually? Delegating that to your family might help speed up the confidence building.

Also make sure there are lots of places to hide, if it's a long way back to the safe den and no hiding places in between they'll be more cautious. Cardboard boxes/tunnels are good for this :)

Back