Successfully imported my rabbit to America

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chachacutie

Reaction score
This post is for anyone who is curious or has considered flying with their rabbit in cargo. About 2 weeks ago I moved back to the US after living in Japan for 5 years. I have a 1 year old rabbit that I brought along with me. I flew on ANA which has a great reputation for caring for its animals in cargo. Before the flight she had to quarantine at the airport for three days. The flight was 12 hours long with no layovers. Before the flight I was able to see for about 10 minutes to give lots of hay and water and also put her favorite blanket in the cage. The airline allowed hay and water in her cage.

After landing I picked her up at baggage claim to find that she had been boarding with a noisy dog. I hope this didn't distress her too much. She is a holland lop so she is partially deaf, I think this benefitted her in this situation. US customs asked no questions and required no forms when I arrived. My husband and I waited for a while in the airport for my brother to pick us up so during this time we let my rabbit Chacha out of her cage. I was worried most about her eating, drinking and pooping habits but thankfully there were no issues. She was eating and drinking with no problems and seem antsy to get out of her cage and explore, which we let her do. It has now been two weeks and she has adjusted really well.

I suggest traveling with your rabbit in cargo in only the most dire situations like moving out of your country. However I want to make this post to let others know that it can be done successfully. Prior to flying with her I did lots of research and yet found very few people who posted about their experience.

My advice is to go with an airline that has a good reputation. Also go with your gut. If you have an antsy anxiety ridden rabbit, maybe it's not the best call. We had traveled with Chacha on the train and in the car. She's been to many of my friends houses and we occasionally take her to the park. She had lots of experience traveling before we make this big leap, so make sure your bun is well traveled before you put them in a totally foreign environment. Let me know if you have any questions.

Latest posts

Back