Subcutaneous Fluids

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being capable of administering sub-q or IV fluids is a very valuable tool. However like any medical treatment...there are risks. Administering fluids has saved many of our rabbits but I know how and when to administer them. Administered improperly....timing, amount, etc can be fatal. So while I am totally in favor of everyone learning how to administer fluids...it is a medical procedure that requires precautions and proper training. Have your vet or tech teach you how to administer fluids....there are different types of fluids....Lactated Ringers, Sodium Chloride, Saline, etc....and each has a purpose. There is a formula for calculating the dosage....technically it's a drug and has to be dosed properly. Learn when to give fluids....and when not to give fluids. In cases of cogestive heart failure, pneumonia type issues, head injuries and internal injuries....fluids can kill. Again, I am totally in favor of everyone learning how to do this...but like all other medical procedures...learn the correct way. This is nothing to play with....used properly, it's a life saver...but used improperly, it can be fatal.

Randy

My vet taught me to give fluids when Nick was having stasis. It scares me to death to do it! The alternative was to take him in every day, but he gets really stressed from car rides, and the vet is 30 minutes each way. If it was closer, I would have been fine taking him in, because the process of giving the fluids scares me to death! I managed to give the fluids twice the first time he was in stasis, and once more when he had his relapse. I always tried to give oral fluids first.

I wouldn't try the fluids without checking with the vet first, but it's good to have the supplies on hand if I need to do it again.

ra7751 wrote:
Being capable of administering sub-q or IV fluids is a very valuable tool. However like any medical treatment...there are risks. Administering fluids has saved many of our rabbits but I know how and when to administer them. Administered improperly....timing, amount, etc can be fatal. So while I am totally in favor of everyone learning how to administer fluids...it is a medical procedure that requires precautions and proper training. Have your vet or tech teach you how to administer fluids....there are different types of fluids....Lactated Ringers, Sodium Chloride, Saline, etc....and each has a purpose. There is a formula for calculating the dosage....technically it's a drug and has to be dosed properly. Learn when to give fluids....and when not to give fluids. In cases of cogestive heart failure, pneumonia type issues, head injuries and internal injuries....fluids can kill. Again, I am totally in favor of everyone learning how to do this...but like all other medical procedures...learn the correct way. This is nothing to play with....used properly, it's a life saver...but used improperly, it can be fatal.

Randy
this post is right on. I work at a veterinary clinic and we show owners how to administer the subcutaneous fluids, making sure right amounts, frequencies, and techniques are used. if anyone thinks their rabbit needs fluids, see your vet ASAP. he/she can tell you if your rabbit does indeed need them and how much etc.

Back