Sub-Q Dosage Frequency Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Emma's going through stasis again. I've been trying to not resort to motility drugs but will likely need to by this evening.

I gave her 30 cc's of sub-Qs last night. I can't give them again until tonight, when I have my husband's help. Emma's not touched any water today (unless you count the watery Critical Care that I gave her in a crock dish and a small amount of greens).

Can I give her 30 cc's at a time just a few hours' apart? Like once at 6 pm and again at 10 pm?

Jenk

I use this when it comes to dosing stuff:

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

From what I understand - as long as she isn't having something like congestive heart problems or pneumonia - you can do that. I've had times when I had a rabbit in stasis and I was giving sub-q every hour or two (not huge doses - only the first dosage would be a big one when I gave it). And honestly - maybe it was every 2 hours - I don't remember for sure.

Another option is to add vanilla or a bit of baby apple juice or something to her water to flavor it and get her to drink more.

TinysMom wrote:
It advises 116 mL (or cc's) over a 24-hr. period. But I can't be getting up all night to give them, which is why I asked.

My husband won't get home until after 7 pm tonight. So I've asked the vet's office to help me hold Emma while I administer the fluids. But that won't happen until they call me to pick up my other bun, which could be anytime now or even after 5 pm. Who knows? So I'm unsure if I'll still be able to give fluids again before bed.
Another option is to add vanilla or a bit of baby apple juice or something to her water to flavor it and get her to drink more.
I added 1 tsp. of unsweetened apple juice to her water last night; she didn't touch it. :( So now she's had only 30 cc's of water between yesterday morning and late afternoon today. (She didn't drink much water the night before last, either.) I don't want to wait so long that she winds up requiring IV fluids at the vet's.

I offered her watered-down Critical Care in a crock today; she drink a small amount of it. Then I later tried offering it from a syringe--that was a no-go. :(

Latest posts

Back