stupid question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chloe77

Reaction score
i was just reading through some of the topics on here and came across one that said you shouldnt let a rabbit be a first time mum over the age of one

why is this...and what is the right age to let a rabbit start having babies....just curious thats all its just that seems to be young to let a rabbit get pregnant...guess there must be a reason for it though......mine are both boys so no chance of them having babies...and have absolutely no intention of getting girls!!

also when can i get my boys neutured..they are just over 8 weeks

Neither of those are stupid questions. Haha cause I don't know either. I guess one is considered an adult for rabbits. It's like when people get preggers older they are considered "high risk" and stuff like that.

Some one will come along who knows what theyre talking about tho.....

I'll move this to the Rabbitry for you since it's more of a breeder question. :)

I'm not really sure of the exactreasons, but it's safer for them to have babies under a year. They shouldn't have them younger than about 6 months though. Someone with more knowledge will be able to tell you more.

As for the neutering, you can get your boys done at about 4-5 months, whenever their bits drop down. ;)

Those are good questions!

First off, older never before bred females will have a harder time getting pregnant because their body will lay fat down along their reproductive tract. This makes it harder for them to even get pregnant. Also, as a doe ages, if she has never had a litter, her pelvis loses a lot of its flexibility. This makes it very difficult when it comes time to deliver her kits, often resulting in stuck kits that cause not only the loss of the babies, but also the mom.

Some, larger breeds of rabbits are slower maturing and can have their first litters at later ages. But most breeds are physically mature (meaning their body is done growing) by six months. Many are sexually mature much younger than that.

About neutering your boys- yes, they can be neutered as soon as their testicles drop. But most vets like them to be grown up a bit as the anaesthesia isn't as hard on them when they have more weight on. Definitely something to talk to your vet about.

Latest posts

Back