stuffy nose

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ani-lover

Reaction score
i was just wondering what anitbiotics or remedies you have used to get rid of a stuffy nose on your bunny. thumper has been to the vet and was on a 10 day baytril transdermal that seemed to have gotten rid of the stuffy ness and what made me bring him to the vet is he had a one time white mucus from his nose. do i bring him back to the vet and get chloramphenicol or is there something else i should be doing? the baytril ended yesterday and now his nose is stuffy and he's sneezing again.

This is one of the reasons that Randy is so against baytril. the same thing has happened to my rabbits. ..baytril would work for awhile but eventuallya few of my rabbits have became totally immune to it ( built up tolerance. ).

There are other options other than chloramphenical ( bicillin, Convenia and others )) but actually this is a good drug if you use safety precautions when using it ( don't get it on your skin)
I guess many vets don't do a culture but if yours would you could ask for a culture of the exudate.
Whatever med your rabbit is on it should be at least 2 weeks preferably even longer than that.

I don't really think you have a very good vet--transdermal baytril? Like you applied it to the skin? That is very unlikely to do much to help. I think you need a stronger antibiotic and at least 2 weeks of it. A good vet will take a swab and do a culture and sensitivity test to determine which antibiotic is the best option.

thank you for the responses. this rabbit has never been on antibiotics and i have had problems with vets in the past but this vet is a good vet. i don't totally understand why they would want to use transdermal baytril i wanted the oral if anything and the vet just didn't want to mess with his gut. i believe he would've been just fine and he is a very healthy rabbit except for this right now. im just not sure what to do right now, i would like him to have that white mucus again to get a culture, it is probably pasturella multocida, but im not sure what antibiotics to put him on if any at all.

Well....I am going to say something here that many will find surprising.....I am impressed that your vet went "outside the box". I don't like Baytril, don't use Baytril and feel that it is the most abused drug ever in veterinary medicine...but I have to give props to the vet for the effort. The idea behind transdermal medication is that is is useful for people that can't or won't do injections. And with most any animal, especially a rabbit, if you can do anything other than oral antibiotics, that is always a plus. There are a couple of reasons for this....first, you all but eliminate a bacterial issue in the gut if you avoid oral meds. Next, many people don't realize that pH in the gut has an effect on drugs....some don't absorb well in acidic climates and some don't do well in alkaline climates. Injectables or transdermal eliminates these concerns.

I also think you are correct in feeling that a culture would be in order. Unfortunately with Pasteurella, it might not always culture. This is due to the fact that Pasteurella is a faculative anaerobe and may actually die during the culture. If we do culture due to presentations of a bacterial infection (primarily discharge and fever)....we treat for Pasteurella. We have also seen other bacteria in rabbits but Pasteurella is by far the most common. And the most common location is upper respiratory but it could also be ocular, vestibular or dental issues causing this concern.

As far as drugs....assuming it's Pasteurella....my current drug of choice is Zithromax. I have also used one of the newer Fluoroquinolones called Zeniquin. While it is in the same class of drug as Cipro and Baytril....it has some advantages over them. Convenia is also a drug (safe as an injectable only) that we have used successfully. Chloramphenicol is a very powerful drug but might not be the ideal choice at this time....this one might bestbe saved for a later day. Baytril and/or Sulfa type drugs would not be at the top of my list for treating this potential infection.

Randy

I just don't like transdermal because it won't get a high concentration in the bloodstream, and it certainly won't get a high concentration quickly, which can be important in a bacterial infection. The amount that's absorbed into the blood via the skin is usually much less and happens a lot more slowly plus it has to go through the lymphatic system prior to getting into the blood which exposes it to more possibilities of being metabolized prior to getting to the site of action. I thought Baytril was well tolerated orally especially when you use a probiotic.

In any case, a culture would be great. The vet can sometimes get a swab of mucus deeper in the nose, especially if they put the rabbit under anesthesia, to do it. It may however be best just to treat with Zithromax like Randy mentioned.

Back