Stray rabbit may be pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
Evie (My stray rabbit who I picked up three weeks ago) .. her stomach is full of baby bunnies I believe. Lastnight as she was stretching out, I saw little ripples from her stomach. I put my hand on her belly and I could feel little pulsating squirmy things. I'm concerned for her because when the vet looked at her teeth, he said she is easily five years old. Her pelvic bone could've fused by now.

If she doesn't have babies by next Saturday, I'm taking her for xrays.

But how far along is a pregnant rabbit when the babies start to "kick"?

If you have had her for 3 weeks, she could be dueanytime in the next 7 days... if you think she is pregnant, be prepared.Give her a nestbox (ASAP) to kindle in (it's safer for the babies, and would make her feel more secure.) Even a shoebox would work. Just make sure it has sides at least 3" high (to keep the babies in) andgood enough for her to jump in and out. Pack it with soft hay for her to nest in. You would probably see signs of nest building before she delivers.

I usually see signs of movement 2-3 days before kindling.

I know some people have seen ripples in the belly and thought it was babies but it was just the intestines moving. I hope for everybody's sake that's what it is, but fingers crossed that if it's babies all goes well for them, mommy, and you!

She had eight babies last night! Two Uvic rescues turned into ten!
She's all orange, but she has: Two black and white dutch, 4 possible orange harlequins, one pink one, and one black one.

Talk about variety!

Sas mentioned the intestinal thing.. but she had "lumps" hanging off her body. I looked up pictures of pregnant rabbits and the lumps matched. I was kinda hoping it was the intestinal thing because my rabbit count just went from 11 to 19! Gotta start working on finding homes for the rescued Uvic babies.

Best of luck with the litter! I really hope you can find good homes for the babies. Sounds like the Dad was a dutch... the all pink one will probably be a white. Pictures would be lovely if you have time!

These babies are HUGE and one of them already has fur.. she's an orange and black harlequin. I've had a litter before and the babies were no where near this size and fur didn't start until day 3.

There was also a lot of blood =[ I found more last night after I already cleaned up a puddle of it. I hope Evie didn't have too much of a hard time with these kits.

Yes, I will post pictures soon! They are so cute!

It's good that these guys can be good pet rabbits, not ferals, since they'll be comfortable with people from birth. I hope they do well!

They are growing SO FAST!
So only had them two days ago, and the babies are three times their size and they all have fur. A couple of them have their ears standing up already.
I guess feral bun buns develop fast!

I know I'm seriously behind on pictures, but I feel like if I update a pic, they'll grow more bunny like two seconds later!

Latest posts

Back