Stray Mini Rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brillobee

Reaction score
I have for the last while seen a mini rex in my yard. I am concerned about him making it through the canadian winter. It gets down to -30 C. Any tips on what do to help this guy? Should I try to capture it? It is still semi tame I am able to approach it and get within a couple feet. Thanks for the replies.

Definitely try to catch him. Rabbits typically don't do well outside in the winter and mini rexes are particularly not suited to living outside in the cold. It is summer now, so you do have time.

If you have an x-pen or something similar, try setting that up to make a smaller space, but be able to close it. Leave it around so he can get used to it and even leave some food, water or a hiding space inside the pen. Try to hang around a bit so you can close the pen when he is inside. If he will come to you in the pen, you can sit at the far end and have someone else close the door. This will get him in a confined area which will make it easier to catch him and hopefully not cause too much stress.

Try to have a space inside where you can keep him, even temporary. Offer pellets, hay and some grass to start with as well as water.

fantaysah wrote:
for something yummy you might get him to come right up to you if hes already half tame!!
This is quite true.

If not, put out a food and water bowl. Some treats, like oatmeal/banana/carrot, in the food bowl can help.

Put them near some structure that the rabbit can use for cover or put out some kind of cover. An outdoor chair can work for cover.

Get out your ground pad and lie down. Gradually work closer to the food bowl. At some point in time the bunny will most likely approach you. This might take minutes or days depending on the bunny.

That's how I ended up with BunBun Rwa.

Or you could just TASER it and pick it up once it stops flopping around. Effective, but it may well breed resentment from the rabbit. Bunnies can be quite vindictive.

No no no do not taser it... blow dart with horse tranquilizer! Ha where's the challenge in a taser? I mean u could always fall back on The electrified oats for a Good laugh and catch!

fantaysah wrote:
No no no do not taser it... blow dart with horse tranquilizer! Ha where's the challenge in a taser? I mean u could always fall back on The electrified oats for a Good laugh and catch!
Okay. What about spraying it full in the face with pepper spray and waiting until it runs into something in a panic and knocks itself out?

Of course, that might result in some small difficulties down the road with issues of trust and bonding. But the video would be awesome.

BunBun wants to horn in with his two cents worth:

17206_280850_140000000.jpg

Cheeky rabbit.

fantaysah wrote:

DON'T encourage him!

I've counseled BunBun beforeon his salty language, but he just gives me the bunny finger. He is supposed to say: "hairy white bunny bum".

Nancy McClelland wrote:
:yeahthat: I've borrowed traps from animal control before and they work great. I know you can purchase them form Sportsman's Guide too.
If you can get a trap, you should have that rabbit caught very quickly. BunBun has showed no hesitation about going into live traps. He was actually curious and checked it out. I insulted him at length while he was sitting in the trap before I let him out.

lol I enjoyed this thread :)
Capture the devil and send him to NL!!! I'd love another mini rex. Contact your SPCA or vets to find out small animal rescues :) Typically, I find rabbits don't do very well in traditional shelters.

MiniLopHop wrote:
:yeahthat: BunBun Rwa is great at dissaproval!

You don't know the half of it.

Have you seen his dissapproving video?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpT629LegQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpT629LegQ[/ame]

Latest posts

Back