Strangest kindling yet!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
My Max doe was due on Sunday. Well, Saturday morning (around 1 am) she delivered 4 kits. No babies on Sunday. Then Monday morning (around 4 am) she had 2 more, one on the wire and one on the den floor. My daughter put them in the nest box, and all was well. Then this evening (around 11) she had 3 more.

Of the original 4, one was born DoA. The 2 born on Monday morning are fine. Of the 3 she had Monday evening, one died shortly after birth, one was born DoA, and the other is fine.

Anyone else experienced this? I sure hope she's finally finished! If they had been born down at the barn I would have lost all but the 3 original ones.

Here's a picture. The two solids and the broken on the left were the original 3, the 2 brokens in the middle are from Monday morning. And the little broken on the end is from Monday night. They're adorable, and I've been trying so hard not to keep picking them up. LOL I wish she hadn't cleaned most of the ear off the dark one, but if it won't cut it in the breeding shed I have a pet home lined up already. :)

12-11-12.jpg

Wow! We had it happen years ago with a Netherland Dwarf doe. She had been bred once and kindled 2 live kits 3 days apart.

Is it possible they were from multiple breedings? I have heard it is possible for them to get pregnant with seperate litters from breeding more than once. That is so cool how she was able to give birth over time. Thanks for sharing the photos! I love baby bunnies :)

Not possible at all. They were from 1 breeding, to 1 buck. I usually breed again the following day but we weren't home so didn't. This breeding was the first one to my new buck, so I had been calling the impending birth my Christmas present. Well, Max's gift to me just kept on giving. LOL They are all doing well this morning, and no new ones to report (thank goodness!). The smallest one is the little lilac/blue solid, and its belly didn't look very full this morning. I'll keep my eye on it, but unfortunately the other doe I bred didn't take so I don't have a foster mom anyway. :-(

Yay I love seeing you around here Wendy :)

That is amazing! I'm waiting on my older girl to have something today or tomorrow. Today is day 31 she usually has them by now so I am thinking she isn't preggo. Congratulations and I hope all kits continue to have big bellies :)

Thanks, guys! So far, so good. But I hope her next litter is just a one-time thing and they all come within the same day. LOL Hopefully you'll get babies, maybe just a little late, but still get 'em. :)

My cat had one kitten one day and then two days later had the other one. lol. I know its not a rabbit, so it may not count; but thats the only way I can relate. lol.

I'm glad you still have a nice sized litter even though you did lose a few. :( Hopefully the rest of them make it and the mama is able to take care of them!

What kind of bunnies are they? I can't tell and I don't know if your avatar is the breed that you breed.

Wendy raises french lops and Cals. Those i believe are frenchies :) So adorable! Cant wait for more pics as they grow!

Yay! That's pretty lucky that you found them before it was too late... Isn't
Karmin due soon? I'd love to see baby Polish!

Oh yes!! We must compare polish baby pictures!! Mom just had two born and an adorable baby black with an awesome type head and ears so far :D

The only time it happened to us, was when our older doe delayed her delivery (due to complications) & had hers 4 days later and they were partially decomposed; all died.
Her next litter died, then the litter after that lived. She is 5 yrs. old.

Yep, they're French Lops. I never bred any of my Polish. We aren't 100% certain that we want to add the 3rd breed. I am going to breed our new broken chocolate doe (bought at convention) and see what they have.

Max didn't get milk for a LONG time. I gave the babies goat milk (with cream added, for the calories). We lost one of the broken ones, but the last 2 days she's finally able to feed them. The remaining 5 seem to be doing well, with nice chubby tummies.

I really hope that she has her next litter all on the same day, within the same few hours. I think that, because they were so spread out, that it caused a delay in milk production...making it really hard on those that were born first. The one that didn't make it was born on Monday morning, but it was also the one I had the most trouble trying to get to drink anything.

Sarah, I want to see them!! The only Polish we had were out of my blue broken doe. She had 4, all over the wire. I haven't bred anything since. Karmin's still Kitty's inside pet, and Nestle's still mine. We have 2 other does. I can't remember if I ever posted about them. One is Bella, a broken blue with really nice type but not a nice head/ear on her at all. The chocolate doe I bought from someone at Convention (Sunday) has a really cute head/ear, but lacks "junk in the trunk." We're thinking about breeding them both, once, and see what we get. Otherwise we're just going to concentrate on the Cals and Flops.

Latest posts

Back