Strange twitch and Licking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haylz83

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Need some help with some odd symptoms...
Floppsy is my 3 year old dwarf lop. Since this morning she has not been herself.
Her symptoms are:
- not moving around much
- strange twitch which seems to come from her throat
- excessively licking like she needs a drink and from that has a wet nose and chin
- seems very sleepy
- still eating but not as much as normal
- haven't seen her on the toilet today
My buns live in a hutch outside but last night spent the night in shed due to bad weather. This morning i let them out and usually she comes running to me for some breakfast but today she wasn't interested.
I thought she was just sleepy but behaviors as listed above continued throughout today. They were free to roam all day and she just kept finding places to hide or back home in hutch for naps.

Now.... I have a mice problem in the shed..... After investigating today there are mice droppings everywhere around the shed that the buns slept in last night and a stash of bunny food that they have stolen... I'm most concerned that Floppsy has possibly eaten mouse droppings?? Or something? And is subsequently sick because of it. Could that be possible?

I have checked her over and can't find anything abnormal and no bites or anything. She definitely wasn't up for a groom or cuddles.

Can anyone offer any advice?
I will take her to vet on Monday, but to be honest they are not rabbit savvy at all.

Help please :( sorry the the long speech

If at all possible, I think your rabbit needs to see a vet today. I'm not sure what those symptoms would indicate. I know that rabbits can get e. cuniculi from mice, but those symptoms don't really match for that. Some of those symptoms can be a sign of GI stasis, but that can have several causes besides an upset stomach. It's important that she keeps eating, so encourage it as much as you can. I would push her hay and her leafy veggies the most(and avoid sugary things), as the fiber helps with the gut motility, and will help keep a blockage from occurring. If you do think it is stasis from an upset stomach, this link has some suggestions as to what to do for it.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

And I don't know if any of these vets are near you, but here's a list of rabbit vets in Australia.
http://members.shaw.ca/cocoasun/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

Any time your rabbit is lethargic, they need to see a vet right away. Does the throat thing look like she's struggling for air? Could she be trying to get something out of her throat? I would look into an emergency vet ASAP. Could she have gotten into mouse poison or a garden chemical in the shed? Sorry we can't be much more helpful. Usually if a bunny is just sitting around, it is quite sick. You are of course aware that bunnies sleep and laze about a lot, but if they won't move or they move slowly, like they're drunk or sleepy, that's a very serious sign. Maybe other details would help.

Spayed? What other buns? contact with them? What kid of housing situation? Roaming free in the shed? How cold?

And I don't know if any of these vets are near you, but here's a list of rabbit vets in Australia.
http://members.shaw.ca/cocoasun/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

Unfortunately I don't think there's going to more than maybe one or two vet clinics in Esperance, and it's so isolated that going to another vet is an impossibility.

If you can take her to the vet, I would, and if he's unsure, ask him to call another vet clinic even in another state to ask for their opinion and advice.

Thanks for everyones replies.

She has suffered stasis a few times in the past and it doesn't seem to be like that. Though she has passed a mushy stool overnight. No bloat at all, which she had with stasis in the past.
Another thing I have noticed today is that she is sitting up rather than lying down. Usually she is a sprawler and loves to stretch out.

Azerane in Adelaide Australia you are 100% correct. We have one vet in town and the next closest is 400kms away. But they have been helpful so far so I'm sure I could get them to call another vet for advice.

She is spayed yes and her mate Bear is in full health. They are warmer in the shed than outside, sleep amongst blankets in a temp hutch I made in there for cold wet nights.

Is it common to get something stuck in throat? She seems to be also chewing things a lot slower than normal.

She seems more alert this morn and ate some chaff mix and hay.

It is so bizarre, I don't even know what the vet will check for when I get there?

Thanks everyone again

Have you opened her mouth and taken a look? A few rabbits around here over groomd themselves and large wads of hair were found stuck. She may also have some teeth issues. She could be chewng slower because her mouth hurts. Any drooling? Could be why she's excessively licking as well.

Well the mystery seems to have dissapeared...

Did a full mouth inspection yesterday (as much as any bunny will allow) and could not find any obstructions or abnormalities with her teeth...
As the day went on she seemed to get better and regain energy... Ending the day with a big run around the yard and even a little Binky...
She is definitely still not as keen on food as she usually is, but being a little on the overweight side i dont think this will hurt her..
Heading for a full check up just in case.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and support... maybe i over reacted... :)

Lets us know what the vet says anyway. Glad to know she's feeling a bit better :)

May have been a gas attack. It sounds like she was in a bit of pain from the posture you describe. I hope it has passed! You may want to have some simethicone on hand in the future to treat for gas. I'm not sure what the throat thing would have been if it were a gas attack, perhaps a strange kind of tooth grinding? They will grind their teeth when in pain. She also could have had something stuck in there that she managed to get free.

Latest posts

Back