Strange Squeaking - Tad concerned

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Again, it's been a while since i've been on this site. The last time I posed I was talking about moving my netherland dwarf rabbit, Harley, into the house. Well quite a few months ago that did happen! She's inside my room now with quite a sizeable cage but I let her roam all upstairs when I am home so can keep an eye on her meaning she gets plenty of exercise.

There's just some strange behaviour I have noticed her doing only very recently that has just gotten me concerned because I havent seen it before!
Before Harley goes to clean her bottom, she starts grunting and now squeaking also! I mean, she looks completely healthy to me and is pooping, weeing and eating normally also!
I've tried my best to look at her bottom (she wasnt very happy about that)but from what i saw, it all seemed fine! And I'm also wondering how frequent should a rabbit be cleaning 'that' area?

Im wondering if this is normaly bunny behaviour, or she is just a bit more vocal than i thought...or if they may be some problem!

Any information you have to give to me I would love to here!
Thankyou,

Megan!!! :)

I have a few vocal buns and her behavior seems normal but I would get her to a vet for a check up to see if there is any kind of blockage causing her pain when she's in that position to get a cecotrope.

I have a few vocal buns and her behavior seems normal but I would get her to a vet for a check up to see if there is any kind of blockage causing her pain when she's in that position to get a cecotrope.

Thankyou for your reply!!

Ah, well hopefully its just that she is very vocal! She uses the same grunts when she gets excited about hopping round the room! But I am taking her to the vet soon to get her nails clipped (as its very cheap and im not confident enough to do it myself) so I'll enquire about it then!!

Thankyou :)

I have some dwarf buns, and some of them are pretty squeaky as well. They also grunt a bit when they are cleaning down there. It may have to do with their facial structure restricting airflow a bit when they are twisted round like that, but it never really seems to cause any issues with them. But if your bun is grunting before cleaning, just make sure she isn't straining or showing signs of discomfort, as this could possible indicate a health issue. And if you have any concerns, it's always a good idea to consult your vet.

Last edited:
I have some dwarf buns, and some of them are pretty squeaky as well. They also grunt a bit when they are cleaning down there. It may have to do with their facial structure restricting airflow a bit when they are twisted round like that, but it never really seems to cause any issues with them. But if your bun is grunting before cleaning, just make sure she isn't straining or showing signs of discomfort, as this could possible indicate a health issue. And if you have any concerns, it's always a good idea to consult your vet.

I think she is just very squeaky! She always makes lots of noises when shes happy or doing things! She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort when doing it, so I assume its just her being noisy!
But thankyou :)

Back