Strange food tastes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I have just adopted 2 lionhead cross rabbits from a friend of a friend, and on getting them i was told one would eat absolutely anything, she will steal food off of your dinner plate to eat and her favourite thing is sandwiches!! Obviously i am going to feed her a normal healthy diet from now on, but would a bit of bread now and again hurt? And do you think she has some defficiancy that would cause her to eat such strange food, or would it damage her further on in life the way she has been eating in the past? She is 3 years old.

Well I fed Nibbles the odd slice of toast every now and again when it was cold and he was fine!

Though I'm not really sure - I hope someone who knows comes along soon :D

It is true that a rabbit can develop tastes for food that are bound to cause a lot of problem later on. A rabbit is a herbivore which means that in naturehe would feed on vegetation , grasses, bark etc and never eat fat, animal products, dairy products etc.
Please don't give your rabbit bread. If he is healthy now he won't be for long on carbs.
A rabbit needs plain rabbit pellets of a high quality (preferably timothy pellets), different types of good hay like timothy, orchard grasses, oat, brome etc (no alflafa)
varied vegetables and water
there are flowers that can be fed to rabbbits also

A rabbit could be fed a tiny piece of fruit as a treat
Nothing else

No sandwiches, meat,cheese popcorn,bread, muffins etc
An uneducated person may think that it's cute to feed a rabbit from the table but in the end it will damage the rabbit's health and shorten his life

here are some feeding links
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Thanks for that angieluv, like i say with me it will have a proper healthy rabbit diet, but i'd never experienced anything like that before so i wasn't sure if she could have bread as a treat still or not, i wouldn't try to give her anything else ever, so good old rabbit food it is then!

Back