Strange bunny noise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowballbun

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while. So once again my bunny Snowball stumps me with a medical issue. -She's my three year old dwarf hotot.

So I noticed that when she takes a deep breath, kind of like a sigh, that she makes a weird sound. I looked up bunny honking sounds and it sort of sounds like this except it's not repetitious, but more of a throaty, congested type sound

But, she's never made this noise before until recently. There is a new rabbit in the house as of a little over a month ago and they are in separate pens.

When I snuggle with Snowball her normal breathing is fine and doesn't make any sound. It seems like when she is more stressed from me putting her back in her cage or when she takes a deep breath. It's also not constant. She might make one sound and it's back to her normal breathing.

I took her to the vet to get this checked out...no discharge or congestion, and we got x-rays to rule out pneumonia, no chest sounds.

So...can she have just started doing a honking/congested type noise? (not related to when a bunny is advancing his mate) She is spayed and this happens when she is just with me.

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while. So once again my bunny Snowball stumps me with a medical issue. -She's my three year old dwarf hotot.

So I noticed that when she takes a deep breath, kind of like a sigh, that she makes a weird sound. I looked up bunny honking sounds and it sort of sounds like this except it's not repetitious, but more of a throaty, congested type sound

But, she's never made this noise before until recently. There is a new rabbit in the house as of a little over a month ago and they are in separate pens.

When I snuggle with Snowball her normal breathing is fine and doesn't make any sound. It seems like when she is more stressed from me putting her back in her cage or when she takes a deep breath. It's also not constant. She might make one sound and it's back to her normal breathing.

I took her to the vet to get this checked out...no discharge or congestion, and we got x-rays to rule out pneumonia, no chest sounds.

So...can she have just started doing a honking/congested type noise? (not related to when a bunny is advancing his mate) She is spayed and this happens when she is just with me.
--a stethoscope could help diagnois tummy-gi.tract,heart and lung--it is possible that it is normal for her,,--I have an 8 yr.old male _(snoball)-who had a tumor removed 5-03-13 and he made a sound I never heard from a rabbit,his poop box has a 3 inch high side and he was too sore to jump in so he made a frustrated grunt sound,(for my benefit)--so I cut it down to one inch,which worked just fine,--perhaps consider what you are doing or what snowball want to relate to you.??--the language of lagamorphs,--sincerely james waller--:inlove::bunny22:

They are a strange, but fun breed. Finn makes the same kind of noise when I pick him up to put him back in his hutch--not when I put him out, just up. Always thought it was just him expressing disgust with the fact that play time was over.

I have a few dwarf hotot buns, and I've found that they tend to be a little bit more vocal and noisy, than my other rabbits. They are more squeaky and make louder breathing sounds when reaching back to groom, or also when they get a little stressed like when I pick them up. They also snore. So I don't know if it is a physical trait with their airway that makes them more noisy, like a more constricted airway, but they are healthy, just noisier and more vocal than my lop buns.

My Tony is 7 or so and has started honking a lot more when I moved. There were other bunnies in my previous apartment and he didn't like them, and now he gets more space to run around and more time to run around. He's just happier and more expressive. Maybe that's what's going on with your bun as well. I also think bunnies will change a bit as they age. Although 3 isn't old, maybe her personality is changing to make her more vocal.

Back