strange bunny behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
So Ive been noticing some change in my bunnies behavior lately. And I thought I'd get you guy's oppinions and see if you agree with what Im thinking..

My bunny is about 4 months old, give or take a bit. Im pretty sure he is a boy. The man I bought him from said so, and I havent been able to get him still enough to check since Ive had him lol.

He doesnt really like to be held, but he would do good with me and my bf, and alright with other people. But lately I go to pick him up, and he FREAKS out. Unfortunately he caught me in a tank top, which resulted in me being really scratched up :shock:

His cage is in my room with me and my bf. The past couple of nights me and my bf would be talking, and BJ, my bunny, would randomly start thumping. He would do it once, stop for a while, then do it again. The first night I went and gave him love, and he stopped. Last night I ignored him, and he eventually stopped.

Yesterday I took him home to visit my mom and my younger siblings, and he had a hay day lol. He ran circles around my little sister, and then my little sister AND brother, for a long time. He also chinned everything in sight.

I think he may be hitting his hormonal stage, but Im not quite sure... what do you guys think?

It sounds like he is hitting that stage. Can you lay "him" in your lap, flip "him" over and check the genis? That should be sorta easy to do. Let us know if you encounter trouble doing so.:)

Usually, the thumping is b/c something scares them, not from hormones. The "something" that scares them can be unheard of from you, buns are strange, haha.:)

Circling is hormonal. Unneutered male bunnies are especially enthusiastic about ruunning cirlcles around prospective mates. ;) But just wanting to run is something all bunnies do. He could be thumping because he's in his cage and wants out.

Or he could be seeing you with your bf and he's jealous. Its also possible something like a ceiling fan or a change in his space is bothering him. Does he have a 'hidey box' in his cage?

I personally don't think bunnies should be or need to be caged, just 'bunny proof' the room and let him go. He'll ultimately be happier and friendlier.

Has his little boy bits appeared yet?

Also... you shouldn't get scratched if you're picking him up right. You really need to hold his back tight against your body with one hand on his chest and the other supporting his butt, with his feet facing away from you. He can kick all he wants, but he'll only be peddling the air. Eventually he'll feel secure and be more comfortable about being picked up and held.

sas :bunnydance:

Ive tried to flip him on his back and check, but he HATES being in that position, and freaks out, so I prefer to leave him alone. Ive also held him up so he is standing up, while my bf checks, but that usually doesnt work out well either.

I dont see anything that could be alarming him, making him want to thump. He doesnt have a hidey spot, so I will def give him one of those soon.

He will eventually be a free roaming rabbit, but thats not possible atm. We have 2 dogs a little under 1 year old. One is super hyper, and would trample him at any given time, and one wants to eat him (she is a new addition). We also have an old grumpy cat who at first didnt care too much about him, and now swats at him, which alarms me. We are buisy people, and I dont want to risk him getting hurt cause our attention is focused elsewhere. Also he isnt completely litter trained yet. He goes just fine in his cage, but as soon as he hits the carpet, he looses all that lol. And we are just renting our house, and we cant have him pee all over the carpet and ruin it.

I usually pick him up to where he is facing me, and securely held to my body. I hold him tight until he is against me, and then change my hands a bit to where Im holding his butt, and his back. I guess I should try holding him the other way.

Dont get me wrong, he is a completely lovey and sweet bunny. He isnt aggressive, he has just been acting kinda strange lately.

Ive tried to flip him on his back and check, but he HATES being in that position, and freaks out, so I prefer to leave him alone. Ive also held him up so he is standing up, while my bf checks, but that usually doesnt work out well either.

I dont see anything that could be alarming him, making him want to thump. He doesnt have a hidey spot, so I will def give him one of those soon.

He will eventually be a free roaming rabbit, but thats not possible atm. We have 2 dogs a little under 1 year old. One is super hyper, and would trample him at any given time, and one wants to eat him (she is a new addition). We also have an old grumpy cat who at first didnt care too much about him, and now swats at him, which alarms me. We are buisy people, and I dont want to risk him getting hurt cause our attention is focused elsewhere. Also he isnt completely litter trained yet. He goes just fine in his cage, but as soon as he hits the carpet, he looses all that lol. And we are just renting our house, and we cant have him pee all over the carpet and ruin it.

I usually pick him up to where he is facing me, and securely held to my body. I hold him tight until he is against me, and then change my hands a bit to where Im holding his butt, and his back. I guess I should try holding him the other way.

Dont get me wrong, he is a completely lovey and sweet bunny. He isnt aggressive, he has just been acting kinda strange lately.

Latest posts

Back