Strange Bun Behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonaxis

Reaction score
My bun BK is up to some strange behaviour lately...

He will stop and freeze in my walking path and grunt furiously, he only settles down if I bend down and pet him with tons of cuddles. As he does this about 3 to 4 times a day, I can manage to find the time to give him the attention he wants. Sometimes though I see him and deliberately try to walk around him so he does not make a beeline for me

He has started wanting to sleep on my bed when I am in it!
I would hate to cage him up overnight because he hates being locked up. Normally he just sleeps next to the bed until I wake at around 5am every morning. Then he gets active, but now he wants into the bed!! He loves to freeze himself to the spot so getting him off the bed is hard work.

Smetimes I wake up and there he is, at the foot of the bed. My baby sleeps with me so this is not working out well.

BK has been chewing my skirt! He used to dothis but has really taken to it lately. I sit on the computer a lot because I write a lot from home Mostly without me feeling a thing, he chews chunks outta my clothes. Maybe I should start wearing short skirts....lol

He also sits up and scratches my legs to be picked up. Unlike most buns, BK loves to be in my arms. He snuggles up around my neck and snoozes when I am sitting on the couch.
He despises the cats and if I try pet them he rushes at them and chases them away, so BK spends about an hour a day on my deck while the cats try to get in some pet time.

This bun Bk is just insanely affectionate with me and while its nothing to complain about (and I am not), I do find it a little out of bunny character.

Lol anyone else got some strange bun behaviour like this?;)

Your post made me laugh...only because I just read your other post about things being so hectic for you with the kids, work, etc....wow, you really do havea lot going on when you include BK's lovey-dovey behavior :) Was he like this before the cat attack? Maybe he's still kind of traumatized and needs lots of loving? :) I have a cat like that. I saved him as a kitten when he was living under a bush and really sick and I spent a ton of timecaring for him. Since then he's been attached to me at the hip. Its sweet but sometimes gets in the way :)

Its ironic because most people would love to have a bun with that type of behavior which, like you said, is pretty unusual for a bun. But for you especially having to tote around a baby with colic, an elderly pee pee cat, kids, etc. its not ideal. haha.

Wash chews on my clothes a lot, if I'm wearing something that I don't want him to chew I dip the ends of it in a vat of bitter apple spray. It tastes foul and so he won't chew on it.

As for the bed maybe you could make him a little bed right next to your side of the bed on the floor? and maybe drape your arm down while your sleeping so he feels like your there for the snuggling and such, but so that he's out of the way of the baby.

It sounds like BK is trying to bond to you, leaving poos, digging, and wanting your bed are all signs of that. He wants companionship, aw. This is how he is telling you that he does, but he will mark you and your stuff and any other stuff he has access to,and try to tell you to be his companion first;).

Your post did make me chuckle a bit too, especially the part about how you try to walk around him.;)

I agree that perhaps it may be that he has bonded so strongly to you since you saved his life after the cat attack. I'm afraid that I don't have much insight for you on this. When I was nursing my Buddy back to health, he didn't respond with affection, he responded by going out of his way to pee directly on me.

Maybe giving him his own special bed like tundrakatiebean said would help.

But overall, I think you may just have to live with a bun that is madly in love with you. I would be thrilled if mine were like that, but then again, I don't have nearly as much going on as you do!:juggle

-Beth

Yep he is in love with me:D

Going to make him a special bed next to mine.
Yes, he has been especially affectionate since the cat attack. He has always been a darling but I think he has found his lady love...in me...cute...just too cute.
I love my BK:D

Back