Strange behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imarni

Reaction score
My 6 month old Mini lop doe who is slightly spoilt and has the run of the house and sleeps in our room has started to exhibit some really odd behaviour. I used to be able to bring her into the bed for a cuddle and pat and she would just nod off, now she pee's while I am patter her, she's chinning everything, and running around, and little bits of wee are left all over the place!

She tipped over her water, threw back the curtain and got annoyed at the food I had there for her :tears2:.

She really is acting like a hormonal rabbit! Could it be she's wanting to mate? Obviously not with me, but is this normal doe behaviour?

Also do all Doe's have phantom pregnancies? Should I wait for one before letting her breed? We have a nice Mini Lop male lined up for her.

Time to spay! 6 months is prime time for female puberty. This behavior won't change until she's spayed.

Can I ask why you're planning to breed her? Unless she's a show animal, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, she will continue to be messy and territorial - most breeding animals do not make the most cuddly pets.

Spaying is a good option for your bun:). My rabbits were like this and still kind of are (depending what time of day it is :p)

And I agree with elrohwen. If she isnt a show animal I wouldnt recommend breeding. Maybe you can post pics for other members/breeders could give you some help?

We brought her off a show breeder, she had papers, but I never had an interest in showing or breeding, so choose not to buy with papers.

The Breeder though does show. Anyway fast fwd a bit This rabbit doe is a seal point mini lop, she lops perfectly has the nicest friendliest personality and I realise how awesome rabbits are as pets.

A friend also got into Mini lops and brought from the same breeder although she got the papers for her bunny, she looked into showing and we decided to join the local rabbit bredders association that hold a show per month and we are going to now show (pet section)., I believe I have to show inthis ection because my rabbit is unrung, I am unsure if I can get her rung or only her babies? We also decided we are going to learn about the breed from them and learn how to breed and to produce nice mini lops for sale to homes where they will be loved,although I really only want to breed twice a year max.

My goal is to produce pets like what I have in Sian, friendly well handled, rabbits that get both indoor and outdoor exposure as in good decent time with their humans and play time in a pen ourdoors, with decent sized hutches and a feed plan. We won't sell to pet shops. I believe personally that rabbits are better pets than cats, they don't kill other thigs and they use a litter tray.

I do have a male rabbit, whom I did get desexed and noticed an immediate change in behaviour so had I not been planning on breeding with her I would happily get her desexed.
Elrohwen she's incredibly cuddly still she has an amazing personality, just a little moody a times but she always comes to me and loves a cuddle.

With regard to posting a picture of her for someone to tell me if she would be desirable for breeding from a show point of view can you point me in the direction of where I would post that?

There are plenty of pet rabbits without homes in the world. I would see if you wanted to breed a litter and keep all the babies, that is one thing, but to breed them with no purpose other than more rabbits to add to unknown homes than I am not with you. Purebred does not make quality or showable.

I am happy with our goal that we will be bettering the breed, that's why we joined a breeding club. We have a lot to learn yetand I'm not getting into the whole argument about our ultimate goals for our rabbits with stangers online. I respect your opions, please accept mine without putting them down.

However thanks those that did provide information it certainly explains a lot.

Yup its just hormones. What you decide to do with the situation is yours. Girls that are not fixed can become very combative and horribly territorial. Understand you wish to show them (why can't they be fixed to "show" I'm curious about but not an animal owner who has ever wished to do this).

Alot of individuals on this Board do show, and hopefully their reaching out to you as their show buns seem very happy; just a harder time for the bun and slave.

Good luck and please post back what you figure out as others will undoubedtly come throught with the same question.

I believed it to be the same here as with dogs, you wouldn't show desexed because the goal is to better the breed and breed for better characteristics so pointless if your desexing.

However, my children will show this rabbit and would have shown the rabbit we had that passed away too in the pet section, we will will keep some offspring and there are 2 breeders involved here hence why I keep saying we, get them rung and show in the other section for breed/colour etc.

Latest posts

Back