strange behaviour

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunny Mum

Reaction score
Our rabbit was spayed 9 days ago and she seemed to have recovered quite well. However in last 2 days she has become inactive rarely comes out of inside cage doesnt go out to outdoor cage at feeding time but lies still staring into space.

Her stitches and her wound look fine she hasnt even been pulling at the stitches. However she has lost weight. I was able to hand feed her some greens and watched her drink from her water bottle but she hasnt touched her hay/pellets.

There is one other adult bunny in the enclosure with her whom she is fully bonded with and their three 12 week old children. The oldest of the three has just started throwing his weight around with the other two. So am wondered if this is affecting heras there has been a little bit of fur flying round.

We are planning on getting all 3 male teenagers nuetered at 16 weeks which is what the vet had advised us.

It might be that her hormones are settling down.

But equally, it could be something totally different.

It might be best to remove the babies and keep them separate until they are neutered.

I'm not trying to step on any toes here, but are you sure your vet is rabbit savvy? A buck can be neutered as soon as his testicles drop, so you might find that the reason one of the babies is being a bit bolshy is because he is entering/has entered adolescence.

The doe might also be struggling recooperating from such a large operation surrounded with so many other rabbits. It might be that she doesn't feel strong enough to fight for food like she used to. Maybe some quiet time separate from them might help her?

Pellets are often the last thing to be eaten by a recovering rabbit, but its quite concerning she is not eating hay. Have you tried different types of hay to try and entice her?

It might also be worth taking her back to the vets. Is her post-op check soon?

Post op appt is thisThurs for removal of stitches we are both working but we will take her earlier if needed

I had the babies sexed a week ago by the vet and i dont think their testicles were down?? Vet is the best in area for rabbits although who knows we have nothing to compare it to. He seems switched on. I think the only reason he wanted to leave the neutering was so they were a bit bigger and there testicles hadfully descended.

Theres a lot going on i guess Flo is still recovering she seems to com inside when the others are outside and goes outside when they come inside. Shes defintely not happy about something:shock:

She sounds like she is desperate for some peace and quiet. Is there anyway that you could set her up so that she can still see them but is separate maybe?

She's had a big operation, so it's not surprising if she is drained from it. If you think, when women have a hysterectomy they have to be careful for ages, and anyone after an illness or operation often feels drained, it seems to be similar in that sense for bunnies. She needs some time to recover.

Thanks for your help.

We checkedFlo this morning when feeding she has been placed on top of cage so she can see other buns and they can groom each other through the walls of enclosure if they want to, but she can sit right back too if she wants to get away from them.

She ate all her hay last night so seems to be eating and drinking, probably less than before but as you said she still is recovering .

Was just a bit shocked when i went to pick her up and realised how much weight she had lost, its deceiveing through all that fur.

Moominmoo wrote:
She sounds like she is desperate for some peace and quiet. Is there anyway that you could set her up so that she can still see them but is separate maybe?

She's had a big operation, so it's not surprising if she is drained from it. If you think, when women have a hysterectomy they have to be careful for ages, and anyone after an illness or operation often feels drained, it seems to be similar in that sense for bunnies. She needs some time to recover.

Yes to the recuperation time needed (from own experience) - I agree that she probably needs to be away from the other buns, just getting some peace and quiet. (and also a close eye on her plus a bit of fussing from you - just enough for her to know that you're there for her if she needs anything.)

I've never seen anyone (here or elsewhere) discuss the wearing off of anethesia in buns, but I can contribute this, from my own personal perspective: it takes a while. She may still be feeling the effects of that, and, coupled with the weight loss, I'd probably be calling the vet... but that's me.
launch.png
launch.png

I take the rabbits home from the shelter after they are altered to recover and I would think that what you are describing doesn't sound normal at all.
I have never seen a doe lose wt and behave as you have described after a spay..even an older one.

I would definitely keep her away from the other rabbits and also try giving her greens or food that she especially likes.
I may also take her to another vet to get another opinion.. Maureen

Thanks all as i wrote on another thread she is off to vet tomorrow.

I think something is wrong with my darlingFlo but she is eating, drinking and pooping normally BUT prob is not as much of a guts as she used to be so have been enticing her with all sorts of treats.

I think she could be sick of all her babies around her (who are now turning into teenages) but she frets if she is not around her bonded partner. They have a very big indoor outdoor enclosure so she can get time out when she needs it and she seems to be taking advantage of this hence us noticing her on her own more.

She is not loosing anymore weight i think her initial weight loss was due to not eating much at all after op. We have noticed our recently neutered male rabbit who was very very sociable decides to come out of the cage less too I do wonder if they are both abit miffed about not being the only 2 bunnies in our lives anymore. Thats me being emotional and thinking they are human not taking it lightly i do think there is something wrong with Flo but am hoping it is mental rather than physical as she doesnt look unwell just cross with us.

Latest posts

Back