Strange behaviour?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenstacy74

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this will sound like a silly question, but I have 2 bunnies (my male who I have had for over a year and Is bonded closely with me) and a female who I got a few months back. When I sit down on the floor with the bunnies, my male will instantly run over and show a lot of affection. My female will follow him but seems to be jealous of the attention that he gives me? I obviously don’t leave her out, she gets equal cuddles but she kind of rejects them and try’s to have my boy all her herself 😂 is this weird behaviour? Or is it normal? She has never been aggressive towards me or my other rabbit although when I try to sit with both of them, she raises her tail (which I’ve read can be a sigh of aggression or wanting to fight, correct me if wrong) is it possible that she is just jealous of the attention that my buck gives me??

Yes, tail up is, at the minimum, a sign of general alertness and is often associated with a readiness to act on what we perceive as aggressive emotions, especially when paired with ears back: Understanding your rabbit - WabbitWiki

I provide an alternative explanation which is the female follows the male because he seems adamant towards something and there's a potentially assumption that you are being a good human, bringer of food. Upon realizing you have no food to give, the female is no longer interested and returns attention back to the male. -- All in all, regardless of how we humans put meaning to their behavior, what you're observing is not unusual.

Yes, tail up is, at the minimum, a sign of general alertness and is often associated with a readiness to act on what we perceive as aggressive emotions, especially when paired with ears back: Understanding your rabbit - WabbitWiki

I provide an alternative explanation which is the female follows the male because he seems adamant towards something and there's a potentially assumption that you are being a good human, bringer of food. Upon realizing you have no food to give, the female is no longer interested and returns attention back to the male. -- All in all, regardless of how we humans put meaning to their behavior, what you're observing is not unusual.
Thank you, she is completely fine until I sit on the floor, it genuinely looks like she just wants my other rabbit all to herself, she will raise her tail and I keep an eye on her but she never acts out in aggression, whether she’s contemplating it or planning an attack… I’m not sure. When I sit with them I do usually have a treat each for them but she still acts the same, almost as though she just doesn’t want me near the buck (baring in mind, both are spayed/neutered) to give a proper example, when I sit down my buck will run over onto my lap and she will try to push him off or when I’m stroking him she’ll push my hand away, but gives no signs as if she wants my attention..?

I’d also like to add, the rest of her body seems as though she’s calm, her ears and down as normal (she lop eared) and she doesn’t seem tense. It simply is just her tail that raises upon seeing the buck with me

Latest posts

Back