storing vegetables

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
I feed Midas a large variety of veggies daily but I find myself throwing away half of the stuff I buy because it goes bad in like two days (and I'm going shopping 2-3 times a week just for veggies). I think I'm storing them incorrectly. The things that seem to go bad the fastest are cilantro and parsley, but the most things last are 5 days. Is this the norm or can I find a way to keep them longer??

Thanks!

Herb wise, have you thought about growing your own? We've found parsley the easiest to grow. That way it shouldn't ever go off because it will always be alive and growing, hopefully.

Any sort of leafy foods can be kept in a plastic bag. Make sure all of the air is out of the bag and seal it, or tie it with a twist tie if its still in the original grocery store clear plastic bag.

I do this for the greens that the rabbits and I share ^_^ and it usualy keeps for a few weeks before it goes bad, and it stays fresh too.

~Ginger

bunnylove817 wrote:
IThe things that seem to go bad the fastest are cilantro and parsley

My parsley lasts two weeks in a sealed container, in the refrigerator. Just make sure it's fairly dry after you've washed it, when you put it in the container.

I've been using those new Tupperware "Food Savers" I think they're called, they've got a green lid. They actually have little vents in the lid, and it says it keeps your food fresher. I've been using it quite a while and it seems to work great, longer than the plastic bags at least. I got it from superstore in Canada but I'm sure Walmart has them.

Kyla wrote:
I've been using those new Tupperware "Food Savers" I think they're called, they've got a green lid. They actually have little vents in the lid, and it says it keeps your food fresher. I've been using it quite a while and it seems to work great, longer than the plastic bags at least. I got it from superstore in Canada but I'm sure Walmart has them.

I think the vents help because it lets the moisture content evaporate a bit, rather than basically fermenting in a sealed container, with no oxygen.

Both my birds and bunny, and I eat greens,
So
In the beginning of the week, I wash all the veggies / lettuce, chop them up and make a salad. Then I put it all in a big bowl with some water. And on top a soaking wet paper towel to cover it all.

this keeps them fresh for a week. Works great. My mother in law does this that's how I found it out. Then if you need to feed the bunny or me or the birds you just grab some out quick and wa la! fresh clean instant veggies.

OR
you can just wrap the veggies/lettuce in a soaking wet paper towel.

You have to make sure to re wet the paper towel every day, or it dries out and does no good.

Also if stuff is wilting, not brown just wilting, you can throw it into some water to perk it back up ussually if it's not already too far gone.

laurabeth wrote:
Both my birds and bunny eat greens,
So
In the begining of the week, I wash all the veggies / lettuce, chop them up and make a salad. Then I put it all in a big bowl with some water. And on top a soaking wet paper towel to cover it all.

this keeps them fresh for a week. Works great. My mother in law does this that's how I found it out. OR
you can just wrap the veggies/lettuce in a soaking wet paper towel and put them in zip lock bags.

You have to make sure to re wet the paper towel every day, or it dries out and does no good.

Also if stuff is wilting, not brown just wilting, you can throw it into some water to perk it back up ussually if it's not already too far gone.

I have found my greens get icky when kept enclosed and moist like that, for more than a couple days.

Gordon wrote:
laurabeth wrote:
Both my birds and bunny eat greens,
So
In the begining of the week, I wash all the veggies / lettuce, chop them up and make a salad. Then I put it all in a big bowl with some water. And on top a soaking wet paper towel to cover it all.

this keeps them fresh for a week. Works great. My mother in law does this that's how I found it out. OR
you can just wrap the veggies/lettuce in a soaking wet paper towel and put them in zip lock bags.

I have found my greens get icky when kept enclosed and moist like that, for more than a couple days.

no... we don't keep 'em enclosed. just lay a wet paper towel over 'em :) at least that works for us! :) Oh and when they are in zip locks just don't seal it, it's only so that the fridge doesn't get all wet

laurabeth wrote:
no... we don't keep 'em enclosed. just lay a wet paper towel over 'em :) at least that works for us! :) Oh and when they are in zip locks just don't seal it, it's only so that the fridge doesn't get all wet

I wanted to buy some parsley from Kroger this morning, and theirs had been sitting in the mister far too long. I wouldn't buy it. I even said something to the office, but I know they won't pull it.

Gordon wrote:
laurabeth wrote:

I wanted to buy some parsley from Kroger this morning, and theirs had been sitting in the mister far too long. I wouldn't buy it. I even said something to the office, but I know they won't pull it.

ewe like it was too wet? gross. was it bad?

laurabeth wrote:

Some grocery stores have better turnover in their produce sections than others. This one is not a good one, and I imagine the parsley, cilantro, and other items had been neglected for a few days. It looked like the bins had been re-stocked a bit, but not properly. Things were soggy and greens in that condition wilt too, just in a nastier way.

Gordon wrote:
laurabeth wrote:

Some grocery stores have better turnover in their produce sections than others. This one is not a good one, and I imagine the parsley, cilantro, and other items had been neglected for a few days. It looked like the bins had been re-stocked a bit, but not properly. Things were soggy and greens in that condition wilt too, just in a nastier way.
well you'll have to find out the day when they restock :)

I keep mine in those "lock and lock" containers, with the silicone seal and airtight lid.

I buy and wash them on Saturday or Sunday, and keep them in there. My containers have trays in the bottom, so excess water collects under the tray, and I just pour it out when I notice it.

This worked great for me until we moved. Now, I'm having problems with the veggies going bad before the week is up. (Used to be able to keep everything fresh through the week.) I got a fridge/freezer thermometer, so I can adjust the temps and see if that helps, but I'm also battling with temps in my kitchen fridge, so the thermometer is in use at the moment.
I get much less rot when the veggies are dry in their containers, so maybe I'm not drying them off as much as I used to.

Latest posts

Back