Storing Hay Safely

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valleybelow

Reaction score
I would like to store my rabbits� hay on my balcony in a plastic bin. I would like to get some feed back on if this is safe for the hay (in terms of mold) if possible.
The balcony is covered so rain does not get on it. Plus I live in San Diego and it hardly ever rains anyway. I get new hay about every 2 weeks.

Here are some pictures so you can see my setup:
IMG_0523.jpg

The hay is inside of the cardboard box.

IMG_0522.jpg

Does this seem like it would be okay for the hay? Also,should I have the bin covered to keep moisture out or uncovered/partially uncovered to increase airflow?

Thank you!

that looks perfect you can keep the lid on but just watch each time you take the hay out because it can get moldy even if it wasn't in a bin. i keep a large bale of hay in my
storage shed and it gets moldy some times. but getting hay every two weeks, you shouldn't have a problem:)

Hay Storage

Storing hay properly will prevent the formation of molds. This is especially important for our 3rd cut timothy as it has a higher moisture content than our other hays. You MUST remove the plastic in order to provide airflow. Choose a dry location with adequate air circulation. Closets and closed sheds with poor air circulation will not allow the hay to dry sufficiently. Failure to store the hay properly may promote the growth of mold.

(http://www.kmshayloft.com)

STORING HAY

(http://www.guinealynx.com )

Hay needs air circulation to prevent the growth of molds and mycotoxins. The best way is a cardboard box with holes for air circulation. I would be concerned with humdity being that close to the ocean. Dry and cool with air movementare the way to go. Extreme temperatures in either direction and/or excessive moisturecan cause mycotoxins and that just ain't good.

Randy

Back