storing hay outside?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragynflye

Reaction score
i found a nearby feed store that has big bales of alfalfa for $10, which is great since i was tired of spending $5 on a tiny little bag of alfalfa that only lasts a few days. problem is, i have nowhere inside to store it. i do have a mostly enclosed porch i could put it on, where it would stay nice and dry. is there any reason i *shouldn't* keep the hay for my indoor rabbits, outside?

As long as you can keep it dry, give it enough air flow and keep mice and such out of it, then it should be fine.
I keep my hay in a giant rubbermaid bin without the top (it is inside though). The bales I am not using yet are in the garage and off the floor.
I would have a bin that you can put some hay into so you can keep that in the house and it helps contain the mess. You could use plastic bags as well, but they might not last as long and can be chewed by bunnies if left out.

Hi I'm not sure about keeping the hay outside, my worry would be bugs getting into it. I hate bugs of any kind.:p

I bought a Hay Bale storage bag. It's great, I keep my hay in it so no mess and it get the propper ventilation because of the vents in it..

So would it actually be outside or on your porch?

Susan:)

The huge rubbermaid bins are perfect for hay storage. Was wondering about alfalfa. It's a legume and is much higher in calcium and protein which is needed by young, growing bunnies but can be a problem for full grown adult bunnies.

nancy, are you asking why i'm feeding alfalfa? both of my boys are young (around 4 months), hence the alfalfa.

susan, it would be on an enclosed porch. roof, three full sides, and a partial fourth side.

it would be easy enough to keep dry, we have no mice, but we do have bugs. i could sprinkle it with diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs away. it's messy, but safe. http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

i am the owner of a rabbit hay company, i store my hay in a barn, i store large amounts of it at once. i find that the hay will stay fresher if you keep the bales together until use. and as long as its dry and and gets good ventilation. its not a fire hazard unless a good part of the hay gets wet. my hay is checked daily for signs of moisture, bugs or animals and never have a problem. just make sure rodents or cats cant get to where you want to store the hay. good luck!

As long as its completely dry it wont mold. I had hay for my yard and before I got around to using it, it molded and grew mushrooms.. gross. Spiders and worms liked it too where it was on the ground. *shivers*

For me to keep it outside, Id wrap it in plastic or use a plastic container for it. Just to be on the safe side.

Latest posts

Back