Stop BSL!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think pit bulls should be gotten rid of??

• yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

~Willow~

Reaction score
Bsl has been enacted in lots of countreis worldwide! Breed specific restrictments usually require...

.Muzzling and short leash when off owneers property

.Secure enclosure (6 sided run with concrete floor)

.Liability ensurance, up to $1 million

.Dangerous dog signs on property

.Dog cannot be in a room that has access to any exit (via open windows and doors)

and if a dog is caught under the breed specific BAN then the dog may be euthanized!

a lot of dogs are restricted or banned in the u.s.a including siberean husky,irish wolfhound and mastiff!! MOst targeted breeds are pitbulls and rottweilers...ITS THE OWNERS!! not the dogs!! i know 3 famillies that have rottweillers and they all wouldnt touch a fly! In californa theyre trying to get rid of ALL pit bulls....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjjcmYwnMiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjjcmYwnMiA[/ame]

who's fault was that!??!! Kill the deed, not the breed!!!

The problem with BSL, long term (if it succeeds) is there will be no foreseeable end to it.

Bump one "bad" breed off, and there is another waiting, right below it - to meet the same fate.

Photos855.jpg

Photos810-1.jpg

Photos811-1.jpg

Not every breed is right for everyone. Not everyone is right for every breed.

My dogs, great and small are my choice, my right, and MY responsibility.

I completely agree with you Willow and Leaf. My brother in law has a Pit Bull and I love her to death!!! She is the biggest sweetheart ever! I think this BSL legislation is completely disgusting.

Crystal

Funny this should be brought up today.

Last night, my 17 year old son Ryan took out his brand new $800 Fisher Mountain Bike for a first ride.

He had been riding for about 10 minutes when something hit his bike full force - he never saw it coming.

It was a pitbull that came out of no where and slammed into the bike so hard that it stunned the dog momentarily and knocked out some ofits teeth.

The bike has about $200 worth of damage (bent rims) and a scratch on the fork. Ryan suffered minimal injuries.

He did call the police right away. No charges were filed because it would have had to have been done through animal control. (Which would have involved a couple hours to file the complaint). Ryan was also given the option of petitioning to have the dog destroyed (he chose not to). The owner has offered to pay for damages (but had still not tied the dog up when the police arrived).

What if this had been a small child ?????????????? The story could have had a tragic ending.

On a far more devastating note, I knew of a 5 year oldboy in our area (when I lived in Ohio), that was killed by the family "pet" pitbull.

These dogs have been bred to instinctively kill. Irresponsible owners have made the presence of pitbulls and related breeds a very real risk in our society. They need to bebanned. There is no place for such dangerous animals around the public. They should be contained just as any other dangerous animal would be and there shouldbe serious fines for anyone violating those containment laws.

Pam

I don't know much about it, in detail or anything, but I support it. There are far too many cases of "harmless family pet dogs" killing small children and babies :(, it's on the news and in the papers all the time! Its horrible. These dogs should not be allowed.

That's awful about your son Pam, I'm glad he's ok. :)

I hope they don't ban pitbulls!!! I know a pitbull named Lilly who's just the sweetest thing. And I know of a big rotwiler who's a big teadybear. It's not the dogs it's the owners. I think that it's sad to see that people think the way to stop people is by getting rid of the dogs. I think that there needs to be more rules involed. Like mabey when you go to adopt a bitbull the owner has to fill out an aplication form.

I really don't know.

-TK :(

I'm really sorry to hear about your son Pam. I'm glad he's alright!!

I've heard lotts of things about pitbull attacks but I'm not sure how to stop them. Banning dogs would just make te problem bigger. Like gangs might start selling dogs along with drugs. I think it's a bad idea, but I don't know how we'll fix the problem.

-TK

Pam and Michaela -

Pam,

I'm sorry about the incident, and I am glad your son is no worse for wear. It is hard for me to tell if it was an attack, or if the dog may have been "chasing" a bike, as many breeds do.

I do disagree with your decision to not file a complaint, no matter what the breed is. Any uncontrolled dog can be a bane to a neighborhood or community, and I always strongly suggest filing a report both with the police and Animal Control.

Some dogs may lose out, and it is sad but most of the neglectful activities lie on the owners irresponsibility. I'm not saying all dogs of any breed are good - or bad, but without proper control of an animal, the potential is ALWAYS there.

You mention "what if this was a small child" - your use of punctuation shows your concern. I would have to say, honestly, it would be your DUTY to further report the incident. Unreported, un-reprimanded, the owner and dog are getting away almost scott-free. What if it IS a child next time?

Michaela,

You make good points. Many bite and attack or injury cases are reported each and every year. Unfortunantly, they cannot be tied to one breed, one mix of breeds or one possible "hybrid". By giving the "ok" to ban, destroy or start the demise of one breed - it opens the door for each and every breed to gradually come to a halt. There is not one breed, mix or cross that is totally pure and innocent of a "crime" against a human.

BSL is one of the worst nightmares, and apandora's box to open in light of pet ownership.

Edited to add:

I LOVE this site - How many here can...

Find The Pit Bull:

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Striking, really. ;)

Leaf wrote:
You make good points. Many bite and attack or injury cases are reported each and every year. Unfortunantly, they cannot be tied to one breed, one mix of breeds or one possible "hybrid". By giving the "ok" to ban, destroy or start the demise of one breed - it opens the door for each and every breed to gradually come to a halt. There is not one breed, mix or cross that is totally pure and innocent of a "crime" against a human.
No that's true, there's no such thing as an "innocent" breed. But at the same time you can't deny that certain breeds are more likely to attack, it's been bred into them. Personally I believe there's no such thing as a safe dog, never mind the breed. I really don't like any dogs at all, which probably clouds my judgement on this a bit, butI still don't think they are safe.

I don't agree with BSL.

In my opinion, it's the same as accusing people of different ethical backgrounds of crimes based soley on their skin colour or religion. Same as accusing all Muslims of being terrorists, same as accusing all African Americans of being gangsters, and same as accusing all Asians of being bad drivers.

Imagine if you could only get a drivers license based on your ethical background? Based on the fact that a higher percentage of some ethnics crash more.

What if you where banned from entering a bank or convenience store based on the colour of your skin?

This is a really good website to read: http://www.badrap.org/

Just because the media reports the majority of attacks done by pitt bulls and ignores the majority of attacks done by other dogs, does not mean that the majority of attacking is done by pitt bulls.

The American Temperament Testing Society does testing on the temperaments of all breeds of dogs. Their website seems to be done right now, but it's a good website to read when it comes back up: http://www.atts.org/

Also, if you start banning breeds, where does it stop? Many people are bitten by Golden Retrievers and Cocker Spaniels. Should we start banning them to? In the end, to be fair, you must ban all breeds of dogs... And I don't think anyone wants that.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Also, if you start banning breeds, where does it stop? Many people are bitten by Golden Retrievers and Cocker Spaniels. Should we start banning them to? In the end, to be fair, you must ban all breeds of dogs... And I don't think anyone wants that.

--Dawn

Biting isn't the major concern. How many Cocker Spaniels, Poodles, etc. have killed people?

Pam

Leaf wrote:
You mention "what if this was a small child" - your use of punctuation shows your concern. I would have to say, honestly, it would be your DUTY to further report the incident. Unreported, un-reprimanded, the owner and dog are getting away almost scott-free. What if it IS a child next time?

I wasn't involved, so I can't file a report. If not for the bureaucracy, Ryan would have filedadditional charges.Hedid filea police report and the owner is responsible for damages.

Further charges would have had to have been filed through animal control for violating leash laws and for the dog attacking.

Both the owners were drunk and the doors in their house were wide open. It's unlikely that they can be trusted to contain their dog even if additional charges were filed. The only absolute assurance of safety would be to destroy the dog.

Pam

http://www.articles-collections.com/pets-and-animals/which-dog-breeds-are-more-likely-to-kill-people.html

Topping the list of deaths by dog in a twenty year period is the Pit Bull and Pit Bull mix at 66 human deaths. The Rottweiler and Rottweiler mix was responsibe for 39 human deaths. The German Shepherd dog and mix were responsible for 17 human deaths. The Husky type dog was responsible for 15 human deaths as was the Malamute responsible for 12 human deaths. The Chow Chow was responsible for 8 deaths while the Doberman was responsible for 9 human deaths. The Saint Bernard was responsible for 7 human deaths and the Great Dane was also responsible for 7 deaths. The Akita killed 4 people, the Bulldog 2, the Mastiff 2, the Boxer 2 and believe it or not the Labrador Retriever was responsible for 1 death while Lab mixes were responsible for 4 deaths. The following dogs were responsible for killing one human each during these twenty years: The Bullmastiff, Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Rhodesian Ridgeback and cocker Spaniel. The conclusion that I make from this study is that almost any dog of size can be dangerous, particularly to children. Dogs must be properly trained, supervised, and care must be taken when choosing a breed with the propensity to be aggressive. Most important, keep young children away from male, sexually intact, chained dogs.

http://dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html#homicide

The most horrifying example of the lack of breed predictability is the October 2000 death of a 6-week-old baby, which was killed by her family's Pomeranian dog. The average weight of a Pomeranian is about 4 pounds, and they are not thought of as a dangerous breed. Note, however, that they were bred to be watchdogs! The baby's uncle left the infant and the dog on a bed while the uncle prepared her bottle in the kitchen. Upon his return, the dog was mauling the baby, who died shortly afterwards. ("Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog," Los Angeles Times, Monday, October 9, 2000, Home Edition, Metro Section, Page B-5.) [/b]

http://www.anapsid.org/pdv-boid.html

[align=left][font="Arial, Verdana, sans-serif"]Human Deaths Caused By Animals<--Look at this section.[/font][/align]

[align=left]
http://www.arnoldhernandez.com/article-san-diego-dog-attack-attorney.htm[/align]

several suggestions, among them are these:

(1) Be careful in the selection of a dog, choose the right breed for you after considering your lifestyle and home environment;

(2) If you have children or children visit your home on a regular basis, don’t keep a dog with a history of aggression;

(3) If your child is not ready for a dog, don’t bring one home, wait until your child is ready;

(4) If you have an infant or toddler use great caution in brining a dog or puppy and be sure you get to know the dog you are contemplating buying or adopting;

(5) Be sure you spay or neuter the dog, as they tend to be more aggressive when they are not;

(6) Never leave children alone with any dog, especially if they are toddlers;

(7) Socialize and train any dog that comes into your home;

(8) If the dog develops undesirable behavior or shows signs of aggression, seek professional help immediately;

(9) Refrain from playing aggressive games with the dog;

(10) Be sure you teach all children coming into your home about safety around the dog;

(11) Never approach dogs you are unfamiliar with;

(12) If approached by a dog never run away from the dog;

(13) If an unfamiliar dog approaches you, remain motionless;

(14) Do not let children play with a dog unsupervised;

(15) Avoid making eye contact with a dog;

(16) Nursing dogs, sleeping dogs, and dogs eating should not be disturbed;

(17) Do not pet a dog you do not know and always allow the dog to sniff you and see your

first before you can pet it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_attack

[*]What proportion of that breed in the community exhibits human aggression? For example, if there were 5,000 pit bulls in a given area, and 5 attacked humans during the previous year, but there were 100 of some other breed in the same area and 5 also attacked humans, statistics would suggest that the other breed is a far more aggressive breed than pit bulls, with 4,995 pit bulls behaving quite decently.[suP][1][/suP] Most statistics published show only the number of dogs of various breeds involved in attacks, not the percentage of dogs of that breed in the area who were involved in attacks. Any popular breed is more likely to show up with more attacks because there are simply more dogs, just as a less popular breed will show up as having a higher percentage of attacks because there are simply fewer dogs. One approach that acknowledges that it's hard to determine the dangerousness of a specific breed takes the strategy of regulating all dogs over a certain size or weight, which would greatly reduce the chance of a dog being large enough to inflict serious harm. This, of course, would remove from circulation most of the hundreds of breeds available in the world today, most of whom would never deliberately harm a human.

Although research and analysis[suP][2][/suP] suggests that breed-specific legislation is not effective in preventing dog attacks, with each new attack, pressure mounts to enact such legislation, despite indications[suP][3][/suP] that dangerous dog legislation would be more effective—that is, focusing on specific individual dogs having exhibited signs of human aggression. The controversy is bound to continue.

I think it is plain stupid. why werent pittbulls in the news all the time say 20 years ago? becuase they were not as popular to gangs 20 years ago. A dog is what you make it. Pittbulls are bred for non human agression (atleast they used to be bred for this). Yes they were fighting dogs, they were also bull baiting dogs. They were bred for this, but there were never intentionaly bred for human agression. I think BSL is just stupid. And to be honest any one that supports doesnt seem to know much about pitbulls to begin with.

I'm sorry about the poster and her son. But for all your son knows he went after her becuase he was on a bike. My dog would have done the same thing, so are we going to label collies as killers now too.

20 years ago it was the german shepherds, 10 years ago the rottweilers, and recently the dobermans, now it is pittbulls. they are just going down the list of every dog breed they can ban. I think it is disgusting.

pamnock wrote:
aurora369 wrote:

--Dawn

Biting isn't the major concern. How many Cocker Spaniels, Poodles, etc. have killed people?

Pam
But how many pittbulls have actually killed adults? Children yes. so have goldens, collies, poodles, cockers, and even pomeranians have. no dog should be judged by breed. Only by the way the owners train it. its all in training.

I don't think it is fair to judge a dog on it's breeding,or have it's life destroyed just because of what it is born as. It's just as bad as judging somebody because of how they look.

That being said, they can be dangerous, and precautions need to be taken to keep people safe. I definitely don't think they should be killed, but care needs to be taken in the breeding, raising, training, and type of care these dogs get. I'm no expert so I can't say what, but I do know that these dogs shouldn't be punished for something which is humans fault for breeding them like this in the first place.:?

I found the pitbull on my 3rd try didn't even need to check no20 its an English bull terrier my parents used to keep these and they are gorgeous soft dogs in all the time we had them the only bite i got was off my brothers Jack russell!!

I still think it should be the owners that are registered rather than the dogs it would work to deter people who want them for illegal things. It is a shame to tar all by the same brush.

i bet if there was a list of all dog bites not just vicious attacks then you would see poodles cockers and jack russels coming through top they are very nippy dogs and i have seen that more than any bull terriers i have ever met whichever type, and i always go to pet any bullies i see because i love them as a breed

i also wish people would remember how well dogs sense fear, and that freaks them out!!

I think it is rediculious :cool:.

I am more afraid of small dogs than I am of large dogs. A chihuahua could easily attack and kill a child. In my personal opinion, chihuahua's and other small breeds of dogs that bond strongly with their owners are more of a danger that a large breed of dog. I have met more nippy and nasty small dogs than large dogs.

I used to work at PETsMART in the grooming section. I was assigned all different types of dogs to groom...

I groomed: Labs, Goldens, Huskys, Poodles, PIT BULLS, Rotties, Shepherds, Aussies, Dobermans, and mixes for large dogs.

I groomed: Yorkies, Pugs, Shih Tzu's, Chi's, Pei's, Maltese, Mini Poodles, Poms, and mixes for small dogs.

Which dogs would throw a fit and have to wear a muzzle? Which dogs were so nasty sometimes that I had to call the owner and tell them to come pick up their dog because they were a threat to us in the department?

Ahem....small dogs :shock:.

I am a strong believer that the owner is to blame for a vicious dog. I think the whole country should have laws that ALL breeds of dogs MUST be spayed/neutered unless they are reputable breeders or show dogs.

It is the irrisponsible people out there that is ruining the reputation for such beautiful dogs.

Oh, and I have a Shar Pei/Pit bull mix at my mother's house in New York....and she is the sweetest dog there is.

There is a person in our town that have a MASSIVE pit bull. This dog has it's ears cropped and has MASSIVE muscles. He looks exact to the breed standard and is such a beauitful dog. This dog has the thickest collar and thickest leather leash that I have ever seen. I always see the guy walking this dog down town and around parks where children are. The parents faces turn ghost white whenever this man walks his dog anywhere near their children.

I asked the guy if I could pet the dog one day, as I am fascinated with such a beautiful breed of dog. I got down on the ground and the dog drowned me in kisses. He was such a lover, and in no way a fighter.

I don't look at "vicious dog breeds" any different that any other dog. The same way that I don't look at African Americans, Asians, or any other HUMAN from another culture.

Being prejudice to a breed of dog and thinking that the breed should be destroyed shows a lot to say about someone.

Or....maybe I just love ALL animals, regardless if I like their certain species or breed. Well, except I am dealthy horrified by frogs and toads ;).

polly wrote:
I found the pitbull on my 3rd try didn't even need to check no20 its an English bull terrier my parents used to keep these and they are gorgeous soft dogs in all the time we had them the only bite i got was off my brothers Jack russell!!

I still think it should be the owners that are registered rather than the dogs it would work to deter people who want them for illegal things. It is a shame to tar all by the same brush.

i bet if there was a list of all dog bites not just vicious attacks then you would see poodles cockers and jack russels coming through top they are very nippy dogs and i have seen that more than any bull terriers i have ever met whichever type, and i always go to pet any bullies i see because i love them as a breed

i also wish people would remember how well dogs sense fear, and that freaks them out!!
The american temperment test society has a webpage with all tests doneon every bred of dog. The pitbull has a 84% pass rate. while other breeds have a lower pass rate. but I cant get the website to work atts.org

Latest posts

Back