Stomach issues- don't know what's wrong?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisfliss

Reaction score
So Alfy had a couple of episodes of gas 2 weekends in a row. They were pretty bad so the vet gave her meds (emeprid & ranitidine) her tum was still making gurgly sounds but she was eating and happy. I put her on hay only on Thursday because I thought it was either her pellets or veges causing it. Her poos got back to normal and she was happy. She's still been having a gurgling stomach on and off through it all.

She's been happy all weekend jumping about, being her usual self. Then last night I noticed moist fecals and some irregular shaped ones. Over the last week she was doing some smaller ones but I put it down to her recent upset- gas, meds, stress- and thought it'd just take time to improve.

This morning she wasn't ready herself and poos are intermittent again! I've booked a vets appointment for this evening because she's not right and by now if she's on hay only her fecals shouldn't be moist.

I've had to go to work so am worrying about her. I've read a bit about various things that it could be. Could it be megacolon?

She's 6 months, been really happy and up until her first gas episode a few weeks ago had no problems other than the odd cecotrope when she had a few too many veggies!

Get her into the vet as soon as you can, and make sure they test a fecal sample for coccidia and bacteria. It's possible she could have the beginning stages of bacterial enteritis or coccidiosis. Both are extremely serious, so getting her in asap is very important.

Megacolon is unlikely as it is an ongoing condition and usually genetic. Any odd shaped poop you are seeing is probably due to upset in the colon.

What type of hay are you feeding?

Well, I took her to the vet (I got home and she was livelier!) and the vet checked her over. He wasn't worried about her gurgly stomach. She has no gas. He did a fecal test and it was clear but he did say there was a very high amount of pollen in it which he said she potentially might be slightly allergic to. I'm feeding her 2 types of Timothy hay (as when I gave her meadow she turned her nose up at it and I think was the cause of her gas!)

So I'm going to stop one of the Timothy hays and feed her only one for a bit.

He also said it could be her age or her recent gas episode to cause the odd poos. I took him a sample of them to see! He told me to give her a small amount of pro biotic yogurt for a few days as it might help her stomach and won't harm her. They're a very good vet for buns so even though it sounds bizarre I'm going to give it a go.

I got her home, she was grumpy for a bit then decided she was back to normal again. Typical but better safe than sorry!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1394486720.512824.jpg

A friend told me to use benebac or acidophilus instead of yogurt so will get one of those!

Back