Stinky Maisie almost bit me...:o(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Argh...ok, so she didn't get to fully biteme...but here's the scoop...and this is mostly just a vent because Ican't get her spayed for about another month. :(

Maisie usually is quite happy to see me when I come around, but if shedoesn't run up to where I'm standing, I can usually open the cage andput my hand in, and she comes running over for some petting.So, that's what it seemed like was happening, and I went ahead and putmy hand in like usual, and she came forward from where she was sitting,and very lightly bit me. It was just a nibble, and didn'teven pinch, but was quite a shock!!

Can I not reach in there anymore for a month? Anyone have anyideas? Should I just not reach in there if she doesn'tapproach me first? EEK!! :shock::shock:

was she growling or anything? if it was just alittle nip/pinch and no agression, boxing with her front paws oranything like thatit could have just been a sign ofaffection:?

Nope, no growling, no boxing with her paws, oranything......but she really had a grumpy look. Also, myhusband went to pet her a few minutes later, and she went to bite him,too! I wonder if she was mad we were disturbing her sleep, orsomething?? She usually sees our hand, and offers her headfor petting, but this time she went to bite, instead, and then seemedto be a bit interested.

Geez, I don't know...if she wasn't doing any OTHER agressive actions, does that mean she wasn't being cage agressive?

I wasn't in the middle of petting her, or anything, either.

I'm so confused!! :shock::?

Ok...I'll keep an eye out, and will check thevarious things on this site regarding cage aggression to see if herbody language matches that. Thank you so much!! :)

Where you petting Flower before you went in hercage? Don't take it too personally. When Pepsi bit me for the firsttime I was so hurt (not like in pain but emotionally) and almsot feltbetrayed I was crying, then I sort of got used to it. Pepsi always doesher little comnig up and running into my arm with her mouth open(weirdest looknig thing.. lol). I wouldn't say Masie was beingagressive, because you'd probably hear a sharp grunt and she'd probablybite harder. Pepsi does her little "welcoming" thing often, so I'vegotten used to it :).

I don't think one little nip is anything much toworry about, I've had much worse from rabbits in the past and you justcan't take it too personally. After all that is their home and youprobably look kinda big and scary and they just wanna show you thatthey are the boss of their domain.

No, I wasn't petting Maisie when she bit (or at least tried to bite) me. She didn't grunt, either. Hmm...:?

It makes sense...it was just a bit of asurprise, because all the other times my hands have gone in her cage,she's been really excited to see them.

I think it's just because it was the first one that it's getting tome. Also I just want to understand if it was "get outta myhouse" or a "love nip", so I don't make the same mistakeagain. :)

I love my Sweeties, and just wanna do what makes them happy...not something that stresses them. Know what I mean?

minilops wrote:
I don't think one littlenip is anything much to worry about, I've had much worse from rabbitsin the past and you just can't take it too personally. After all thatis their home and you probably look kinda big and scary and they justwanna show you that they are the boss of their domain.

Oh, P.S. guys...

I call my loved ones Stinky...it's a pet name...it's not me being angry. :)

hehe, I thought so (about the stinky), itsounded like you said it in fondness. My current bunnies have nevernipped me (fingers crossed) but I did have a dutch girl that would getnippy on and off, depending on how she was feeling and what time ofyear it was etc etc. When moulting she used to get really nippy, or ifshe smelled my guinea pig on me or another rabbit.

Lol well at least she didnt bite hard. Mine used to draw blood before they were spayed. I was afraid of them for around 1 month.

MIne started doing that yesterday but I am taking it as affection.

It was pretty much the same as you. he usually comes for a pet. I usedto put my fingers infront of him and he would lick them. Yesterday Ifelt his teeth!!! I dont know if he would bite as I pulled my fingersaway quickly. He then came up again for some petting

But again no aggression. I think it would just be affection but again Iwouldnt say for definate! :bunnydance:

That's exactly what happened withMaisie! Ok, I'll just be sure from now on to not pet heruntil she comes to me, I guess. :)

sheridan wrote:
MIne started doing that yesterday but I am taking it as affection.

It was pretty much the same as you. he usually comes for a pet. I usedto put my fingers infront of him and he would lick them. Yesterday Ifelt his teeth!!! I dont know if he would bite as I pulled my fingersaway quickly. He then came up again for some petting

But again no aggression. I think it would just be affection but again Iwouldnt say for definate! :bunnydance:

I still pet him even if he doesnt come to me. Ijust make sure my fingers are away from his mouth. Even if he iseating, or playing if I start he just sort of lays down, puts his earsback and sits there until I go away, which is what he does if he comesto me to get stroked.

Maybe try stroking middle to back? thats what I started doing. But I am just aware of something sharp touching me!!:happydance

Ah, ok...I'll try that. Thanks! :) I'll let you know how it goes...:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back