(still) has runny eye...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ortissa

Reaction score
My Dwarf/Dutch rabbit has had runny eye for a little while now. Just recently, he stopped eating (but don't worry, he's fine now!) The veterinarian thought that his runny eye was linked to some dental problems, and since his dental problem was fixed- his eye still produces discharge. It isn't whitish fluid, but just clear. And it dries up the fur around his eye, even clotting some together. I clean this out with ophthalmic saline solution (my mom's a nurse) everyday. Other than that, he seems completely healthy. He has a good appetite (always has been a picky eater), is alert, and runs around a bit (he's naturally laid back.)

Should I schedule another appointment to the vet? It's been about a week since his last visit.. I don't know if it'll just take some time for the runny eye to go away naturally, on its own? Or maybe I should just call her? It just seems that she's a little bit hard to get a hold of...

Thanks in advance!

It could still be the effects of the dental work and dental problem, however, I once had a holland lop who frequently had a runny eye of clear fluid which was not related to teeth.

he seemed to get a mild infection in his tear ducts and the infection would cause the ducts to plug. he would need his tear ducts flushed periodically , some antibiotic eye drops for a week and usually a week of antibiotic ..it would completely clear up,
The vet thought it was flare-ups of latent pasturella.

I would talk to your vet about his eye and maybe discuss other reasons for his problem.

Some buns have allergies which cause symtoms like this although with an allergy you would expect involvement of both eyes

This is what Bennett went through. Just a looong case of conjunctivitis.

angieluv wrote:
he seemed to get a mild infection in his tear ducts and the infection would cause the ducts to plug. he would need his tear ducts flushed periodically , some antibiotic eye drops for a week and usually a week of antibiotic ..it would completely clear up,
The vet thought it was flare-ups of latent pasturella.

I

Thank you guys for the reply! I'll wait a few days until maybe it clears up on its own. I'll call the vet then, and make an appointment if need be.

Thanks so much, again!

Latest posts

Back