Sticky Whitish Substance in Bunny's Eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meg33

Reaction score
IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Description (Breed, color, weight): Lop Eared Gray Bunny

Sex: Neutered Male

Concise Summary of the Rabbit's Condition:
About 2 years ago, my rabbit started having eye/teeth issues. She's had a couple of teeth pulled and takes metacam (sp?) for pain when needed. Recently, the vet gave my rabbit a clean bill of health and stated that we didn't need to have her teeth checked again unless we saw a significant change (i.e. not eating at all). The past couple of days, I have noticed that Gracie's (we thought she was a female when we first got her and the name just stuck haha) left eye is runnier than normal. Normally, when she sheds, her left eye runs a little so I didn't think anything about it. Well today, Gracie's eye was stuck closed when I got her out of her cage. Upon further examination, I noticed that there was a whitish sticky mucous-y looking substance between her eyelids. I applied a warm paper towel to try and remove the substance and most of it came off. I also gave her metacam in case she was in pain. She is also "snoring" when she sleeps, but she's done that for a while. Should I be concerned? What should my next step(s) be? Thanks for all of your help!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? yes
- when did they last use their litterbox? earlier this afternoon -- probably 4ish hours ago
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits? she did poop on her "rug" this afternoon
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? we use newspaper

Medical History

- spayed/neutered? neutered
- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? yes
- is s/he on any medications? metacam as needed

Diet

- what specifically does your bunny eat? pallet mix, yogurt drops
- when and what did s/he eat last? pallet mix about 2 hours ago
- any changes in the way s/he eats? she hasn't been eating her yogurt drops during the day as much (ie: not eating a particular food, odd chewing motions, etc)

Other

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? she's hoping normally
- is the rabbit molting? yes, and has been for a while -- it's not as bad as it has been
- any weight loss? no
- any sign of drooling? no wet face? no
- runny eyes? yes (SEE ABOVE DESCRIPTION!)
- wet nose? coughing? sneezing? sneezing a little, but it's usually when she is eating so I just attributed it to her breathing in dust or something
- is s/he breathing normally? seems to be. Gracie just "snores" when she sleeps deeply

Additional

- any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? no
- has the rabbit been outdoors? no
- any other pets? No. if so, have they been ill? no

My mini rex Taffy has some white gook like this in her eye that I noticed several times that I day. I took her in the afternoon and they gave some drops (I can get you the name of them if you want it).
In a day or so I stopped seeing the white gook and she's been fine since. Just a thought. ;)

please donot despair,,but this is a problem which will require antibiotcs,asap-,from a good exotic dvm,for a more comprehensive look at this see the webste medirabbit.com---as we become more familiar with medical problems that these little guys encounter it makes one wonder how could they possibly survive in the wild---http://www.medirabbit.com --the tear ducts are internal and drainage should also be internal,,possible problems range from diet,injury,infection..-rabbits need to chew on ie..timothy grasses to keep their constantly growing teeth at bay,,70% of the diet requires grasses or the eye teeth grow into the tear duct,,and if these critters are stressed out their immune systems are at risk of pasturella---sincerely james waller

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
My mini rex Taffy has some white gook like this in her eye that I noticed several times that I day. I took her in the afternoon and they gave some drops (I can get you the name of them if you want it).
In a day or so I stopped seeing the white gook and she's been fine since. Just a thought. ;)
Please DO NOT use random medications like this.

She needs to go back to the vet.
Could be further teeth issues or an infection especially combined with that sneezing. She needs to be diagnosed and then proper treatment offered based on what is actually going on.

Well I HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to the vet for a checkup if you are a little low on the money front this is not some thing that you can't pass by, it is your rabbit. Or you can even ring the vet instead and hopefully they can recommend something. If your rabbit is sneezing from what you believe is dust do make sure it is not a cold as a cold can be fatal.

Hope all goes well and look forward to hearing that your rabbit is healthy and happy.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Watermelons wrote:
Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Please DO NOT use random medications like this.

She needs to go back to the vet.
Could be further teeth issues or an infection especially combined with that sneezing. She needs to be diagnosed and then proper treatment offered based on what is actually going on.
Wow, I didn't mean to come off that way-I didn't mean you should use a random med. Maybe I'm the only random person who gets curious. To clarify: more for curiosity sakeI like to hear what others have used. I am not not NOT saying to use a "random" medicine whichhasn't been endorsed for prescribed by your vet. Just when my bunnies have something I like to know what others have used to treat it so I can ask my vet about it or just to know. ;)

Latest posts

Back