Sticky & deformed baby poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eskaisbell

Reaction score
Hey friends, I'm struggling with my 6 week old kits' poop. 2 of the 3 keep getting kinda wet stinky poop stuck to their bellies. They were weaned from mama about 2 weeks ago and had poopy butt for a day, but I used some cornstarch and my hair buster to clean them off and it didn't come back. Now it's separate poops, they're just wet and small.

I found this list helpful but it doesn't fit anything exactly -

https://bunnylady.com/rabbit-poop/
I've noticed more cecotropes around their hutch lately, I'm worried they're not eating them as often as they should?

Right now they have unlimited access to alfalfa pellets, Timothy hay and water. And then about a stem or 2 of parsley or cilantro a day. I've reduced their fresh veggies to this, and thought about cutting the fresh greens out completely for now? I put some of mom's poop in their hutch since they were weaned so early, I wanted them to have a chance to build their gut bacteria before they leave.

They go to their new homes in 2 weeks and I want to make sure they have healthy bellies when they do.

Here's a picture of what I have been finding for probably a week now? And the excess cecos laying around.

20210405_141804.jpg20210405_141846.jpg

Hi, this happens, I would stop giving greens, normally you only starting giving greens at about 4-6 months, and not the amount they get from your pics in the previous thread.

It is good that you are giving them their mama's poos.

In my experience, there's time when babies eat too much pellets and their poos are just like in your photos, and they are missing lots of cecals too. They have to get unlimited alfalfa pellets that's right, but they need to eat hay as well. Maybe you can start reducing pellets a bit so they 'd eat more hay, this should improve them. Black poos mean that their food is very rich so they are not interested in cecotropes.

I use baby comb to remove these poos, never used corn starch but if it worked for you it may work as well.

I find that when you clean them regularly they will start cleaning themselves they love grooming sessions and love to be clean.

Stop the greens/veggies and reduce pellets, provided you are certain they are eating hay well. What type/brand of pellets are you feeding them?

Reduce the pellets. Unlimited pellets is very much old school. Our vets recommend no more than 1 tbsp pellets a day.

So they're on IFA premium forage alfalfa pellets, 16% protein. I know Dot (the one pictured) will leave the hay when he hears the pellets get poured in their bowl. So I'll definitely lower that and no more greens. I just feel bad they see everyone else get their salads 😅
Thanks for the help!

Back