Sterile Bucks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybunny11

Reaction score
:?I am almost positive my buck Killian, is sterile. When he was about 9 months old, before I ever bred him, he got tangled on the outside of a cage and then my older buck, Ace, got out and ripped his gonads apart. Now, Sky, my male tri mini rex, I am thinking is also sterile, but why? I have bred him 3 times before, all to seperate does who are good breeders. Now I know he "got it in" as some would say. Why would all of these litters fail? I don't think its genetic because both of his parents where excellent breeders. Is he sterile or is it just bad luck? What could I do to help the outcome of the litters? If he is sterile why would that be?

Honestly, I'd collect from him and see if I could talk my vet into taking a peak at his semen under a microscope (if you don't have one). If theres no little wigglies...he's not making any babies.

Did you try to rebreed those does?

I've a buck that I assuemed he would be a good breeder, I left the doe with him for a few days, no reason she shouldn't have been bred, and no babies.

I just tried rebreeding them for the past 2 days, and I figure if she doesn't have any, then he is sterile.

3 out of 3 not bred though, I think thats a pretty high chance he's no good.

Skybunny11 wrote:
How do you collect? Sorry, haha I have never done/read about doing that.

This site has instructions on how to re-create the female rabbit out of hardware store parts:
http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/content/full/24/5/712

You wouldn't need to sedate the doe. Just pick a calm girl to do it with :) No more stressful then a regular breeding, buck won't be able to tell the difference!

Latest posts

Back