Sterelizing a previously-inhabited cage for a new inhabitant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunder

Reaction score
I just bought a new cage for my rabbit. It's a used cage, clean and in very good condition, but used.

It was clean when I received it, but I took a sponge and poured rubbing alcohol on it and went over the entire cage inside and out, and then wiped it off with several wet paper towels.

Is this enough to kill anything (bacteria, viruses...) that might cause illness to an animal?

I have a bottle of vinegar too that I use to clean his litterbox and his old cage, which I could use to go over it again. Or I could buy something.

I don't know when the previous inhabitant died, or what from. How long to bacteria and viruses live on surfaces like this?

Ammonia will kill most parasites or bacteria so a good scrubbing with some Mr. Clean and you should be all set.

Some people recommend bleach but in actuality Coccidia can actually survive bleach but not ammonia.Not to say that you have coccidia but you never know what the previous owner had contact with.

To sanitize cages, I use bleach (instructions on the bottle) and then leave them in the yard to sun-dry. It's best to do this on a HOT day when the sun is really intense. :)

And you've had no problems with bleach? I have been worried about not being able to get all of it off before allowing my rabbit inside and harming him if he goes to bite on the bars of the cage, for example (which he rarely does - but have still seen him do it)

It would be best to wipe or rinse the bleach off the cages before allowing them to dry. At the shelter and in the lab we use something called Virkon S, which you spray on, let sit for 15 min, and then wipe off.

But the alcohol rinse should have killed anything. If there's any residue, like pee or water scale, vinegar should get that off too. Follow that with a water rinse off.

Bunder wrote:
And you've had no problems with bleach? I have been worried about not being able to get all of it off before allowing my rabbit inside and harming him if he goes to bite on the bars of the cage, for example (which he rarely does - but have still seen him do it)
It's not straight bleach, it is diluted (directions on the bottle). I scrub the cages down with that water mixture and then put the hose on the high stream setting and spray them off and allow them to sun dry.

There shouldn't be anything left on the cages after this whole process. Just like cleaning your bathroom with bleach, you're able to use it after you clean it.:p

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Bunder wrote:
It's not straight bleach, it is diluted (directions on the bottle). I scrub the cages down with that water mixture and then put the hose on the high stream setting and spray them off and allow them to sun dry.

There shouldn't be anything left on the cages after this whole process. Just like cleaning your bathroom with bleach, you're able to use it after you clean it.:p
... But I also don't go putting parts of the bathroom in my mouth :p

Thank you to everyone for all your responses

There is a product called Vanodine which is very good for disinfecting cages. I use a solution of Vanodine to thoroughly clean cages between fosters.

slavetoabunny wrote:
There is a product called Vanodine which is very good for disinfecting cages.
After using Vinegar and water to clean the cages, I use Virkon to spray everything that the rabbits come in contact with.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
slavetoabunny wrote:
There is a product called Vanodine which is very good for disinfecting cages.
After using Vinegar and water to clean the cages, I use Virkon to spray everything that the rabbits come in contact with.
Virkon looks very similar to Vanodine. Is it the Canadian version?

Latest posts

Back