steps on babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babbitlover

Reaction score
cameron the new mom, when someone comes by hercage, or to eat or drink, she steps on her kits, she wont hurt themwill she? i moved the water bottle, they squeak when she steps on them,and she literally steps right on them, just the way she has her nest,she didnt have the babies in a nest box

is she hurting them? she wont kill them that way could she? they always sqeak when she steps on them

does anyone know? (sorry, im bumping the post up, so maybe someone will post)

FINALLY SOMEONE POSTED lol, oh hi, im babbitlovers sis, the one who posted this, but i was on her account, sheyelled at me, so im using my account again hehe. its on top of anothercage, so it really has no traffic, and its in a bedroom thats not usedmuch. Cameron is really inquisitive, and when we go to pet her, orcheck on her kits, she comes over to the front of the cage, and stepson them, even if we try to pet her on different sides..im just worriedshell kill them that way, or hurt them, i think she may have scratchedone in the head because there is a small cut on one of the heads of thegray baby. it doesnt seem to affect it, and it looks like its healing,it looks like a scratch.

I reeeeeeeeally hope someone who knows comes on soon!

I'm wondering if you can move the nest and/or is it too late for a nestbox? People handle the babies to take pictures, so I'm wondering.......

i really dont like the idea of disturbing thenest because she seems to like it there, BUT! i tried a nest box, andshe didnt have them in there, i put a box OVER the babies, and sheknocked that right out of the way, i think she likes easy access to heryoung

"tried a nest box, and she didnt have them in there"

I wonder what she'd do if you just put the nest and them in it. I don'tknow. I have absolutely no experience but I don't like the idea of thembeing stepped on all the time.

it isnt all the time, but probably at least oncea day, i have to push her off them. she pushes all things out of theway that i put in for the kits, or put over the kits, shes a weirdohehe.

I think anything can die if its gets stepped on hard enough.

I know its a risk I wouldn't be willing to take.

Is there anywhere you can keep the kits, and just put them in for feeding times then take them out again?

My friends rabbit squashed and killed all 6 of her little babies :(

id be willing to do that, but how do u know whenits feeding time, i probably could turn the cage around so the nestisnt facing front wards, where she(momma) comes to visit us when we goby

I believe kits get fed in the early morning....and I think again sometime at night... or maybe its just once... I'mnot really sure as I've never had little ones before...

:?

momma is being a pain, she needs to lay off her kits except during feedings lol. she likes to be a little weirdo

You can pick up all of the bedding...the hair andwhatever the "nest" is made out of and put it in a nest box along withthe kits. (I always use pine shavings.) This willkeep them off of the floor of the cage and out of mama's way.If mama gets rough with the kits in the nest box, then take the kitsout, along with part of their nesting material, andput themin a box out of drafts. You only have to put thekits in with mama once or twice during a 24 hour period tonurse. Rabbits do not lay with their young like a catdoes. Does can put bad enough scratches on very young kitsthat can seriously hurt them or kill them.

Don't cover the kits with a box. You need abox that is open at least half way on the top for mama to get in andout of to take care of the kits. I have never kindledwithout a nest box. The few times that a doe has kindled onthe wire, I've picked up the kits and put them in the nestbox. You don't have to worry about your scent on the kits.

By nature, does are not with their young except at feedingtime. That's from the wild instinct. They stay awayin order to draw predators to them instead of the nest.

- Dolores

There is a helpful article in the 2005 Annualissue of Rabbits USA To Breed or not to Breedthatexplains the nurturing process (or lack thereof) of an inexperienceddoe and when and how to intervene.

Good luck and God Bless.

Back