Steffi Died... Orphan babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnybunbunb

Reaction score
You read right. I fed her lastnight as normal, only thing diffrent was the last two nights she had some asparagus. No stasis as she was eating. No runny poops. She was fine hopping around this morning and throughout the day. At about 5 she was laying like she was resting, head up. I came in at about 7 and she was laying limp soaked in pee. So in two hours she went down. Her stomache was no hard like bloat, just big like normal. She was to far gone to help :tears2:

Now I have five orphan two week old babies. They JUST started eating lastnight pellets and greens lastnight. Now they have no support for their new food, UGGG. I lose one of my favorite does and now her babies are at risk!

I am lucky to have two does with babies, plus, three due in less than two weeks. I will be keeping the babies alone and having Darcy feed three and Neena feed two once a day. But it is not the same as their mother's milk. Also both Neena and Darcy will be feeding 7 kits which is a big number.

Any advice?

She is the momma to the lionhead babies! So now my lions are without a mommy.

Neena and Darcy's babies are three weeks old. They are 9 and 7 days older than the lion babies.

At least you have momma's that you can get help from.. Just put the babies with them.. I dont know anything about the feeding.. But Good Luck!!

Just make sure that they are warm.
In the wild. The mother only goes to their babies once a day.

When I said feeds in plural I said it because three is going to feed off Darcy and two off Neena. They will each once unless they do not get enough. They are keeping warm just fine :)

Aww hun not steffi!! that really freaking sucks. I am thinking about your little kits and hoping they pull through on there own

bunnybunbunb wrote:
She is the momma to the lionhead babies! So now my lions are without a mommy.

Neena and Darcy's babies are three weeks old. They are 9 and 7 days older than the lion babies.
I was so hoping she wasn't the mama to the lions.

I'd go ahead and do what you're doing but be prepared to do formula feeding in addition if need be. (Then again - when Athena was trying to help me keep 17 babies alive - that was a lot so I had no choice but to formula feed - she'd had 11 and Sophia had 6 and Sophia's milk never came in).

I know what killed her :tears2:I had put the little bottle of wheatgerm oil between her cage and my nightstand to hold up the cardboard at the side so the babies could not get out. I went out and got their pellets and veggies and came back and she had ate the top of it off(it had one of them pop-up lids to let it come out or old it in)! It really was not a whole lot, considering Darcy had ate 1/4th of a two cup measuring cup last week when she got up on the sink,:grumpy:, and knocked it off, so I never thought anything about it. When I went in lastnight feeding the pellets and veg I looked over and saw it and it dawned on me. She was eating and not bloated, no sign of illness or anything so that has to be it. :tears2:It does not matter what I do, everything makes it's self into a bad. My hands are touched with death, maybe I should just forget it?

I'm really sorry you lost Steffi... :( We all do the best we can, hun. Silly rabbits get into and a hold of things we wish they wouldn't. I think you have a good plan. I think the girls can handle 7 each. They should produce more milk as the demand increases.Feed the orphans in the middle of the day, between when they normally feed their own kits. You will know if they are getting enough... look for the full bellies and the contented sleeping... :hug:

Hun don't give up on what you love! This was not your fault and it was a case of a very determined bun. *hugs* how are the little ones doing?

I did not have enough time to do this morning to do what I said. I was rushing to try and get everything ready to, 5 AM and I am NOT a morning person, and only had time to let Neena give them a quick feed. The chocolate tort and the two SM do not need another feeding that got full in no time but tonight I will top everyone off. I was sick lastnight but I will make sure to do it of the nights from now on so that means feeding the boys tonight as well.

I am so all over the place. Ugg. And then guess what? Annee(the blue VM lionhead) did take so BEW babies but she is my only doe due at that time and she is a first time mom. I have three does due in less than two weeks but that does not help me for when Annee has hers. Lets watch and see what goes wrong then.

Dont give up on the buns.. I was crying so bad couple nights ago about mine... I told my husband I should just butcher all mine or give them up.. Because I am so down about loosing them every month.. But he told me just dont do it. You cant loose what you love.. He knows that I am a big animal lover and he hates it that I love all kinds and want to bring them home..lol.. Just hang in there and just do what is best for them.. Hugs to you and the babies!!!

Aww, I'm sorry dear. You know I'm just a hop and skip away and if you ever need anything, I'm here. Don't give up on the bunnies though, what would a life be without bunnies?!

I'm soo sorrhy about Steffi!!! Neena can handle 7 I know she could, I mean Jules had started raising 9 until the three runts got squished by the bigger 6.

Latest posts

Back