Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im no expert but when i did my tummy massages, i just sat him on my lap and put my hands down his sides and slowly but firmly rubbed in circles on his underbelly, not too soft though, hard enough that i could feel it be kinda doughy, if that makes sense. obviously start slow and warm up and if he starts to show any signs of pain stop immediately. Maxxy seemed to really enjoy this though.

I know the feeling though, its amazing when a GI stasis bunny starts eating again :)

SHE ATE VEGGIES LAST NIGHT! AND HAY!!! All by her lonesome!!! No apple juice on anything, she just decided she wanted some of the veggies I put in her cage and ate them all! I gave her some more this morning after her critical care feeding. She also ate some of her toilet paper tube toy. Oh man... I am so relieved. I'm hoping this means she's going to pull through. She hasn't been pooping a ton yet, but that article you linked angel said that it could take awhile for her poops to go back to normal, even if she's eating normally again.

Gah, and I forgot to give her the antibiotic last night bc of waiting so long for the benebac... should I just resume it this morning like I never forgot? I just feel like I don't want to change anything since she got so much better last night... idk >.<

Also... I have a conundrum. I am going home for the holidays, wed night and will be gone until sun night. It's a 3/12 hour drive. I'm worried that she won't be off the critical care and pain meds yet. Can I risk the drive if I give her critical care 1/2 way through the drive? She normally chills pretty calmly during the trip home, but this time she's going to be sensitive. Idk.. I don't have a bunny savvy person to leave her with... so I'm worried about that...

You don't really have to give the anitibiotic if she is pooping ; the antibiotic was

probably prescribed for the possibility of toxins building up in her Gi tract from stasis
and that is not happening
I would not worry about feeding her mid trip; she will be fine for that length of time and most likely will be eating and pooping by then anyway.
keep up the treatment....... just because she is better doesn't mean that you can relax.
but if she is beginning to eat you don'thave to feed as much critical care unless she likes it
if she is eating hay and veggies that is really good :)

Yeah, we're doing 3x a day critical care now. I guess I'll do 3x a day for today and tomorrow, then 2x for tue and wed and then see from there? I'll probably be out by then, there's not too much left in the bottle.

I'm still giving her the anit-gas liquid once a day, hoping that since it won't hurt her, it can still help. She's also still getting the pain meds once a day just in case.

She ate some pellets as well, and some apple and is running around and resuming her normal behaviors.

Tomorrow I'll call the vet and ask her how long I should continue the pain meds. I don't want to give them to her too long, but I want to be sure she's ok before I stop them.

I'm going to bring her home then for the trip, just so I can keep an eye on her. And as it's leafy veggie time in my parents house, she'll be spoiled with fresh lettuce :D

And seriously, I cannot thank the people of this forum enough for all of the information available here.

People are so amazingly supportive, and so rabbit savvy... it's crazy. I feel like the extra treatments I was able to give her(gas drugs, benebac) were really important to speeding her recovery time, and you guys just have such a wealth of information here. Thank you so much.

Thank you !

Don't give her extra lettuce at thanksgiving as that could throw things off again.

I learned everything I know from being a member here for 5 years; knew nothing before this forum.

Yeah, it's really amazing what you can learn from this forum!

And don't worry, not too much lettuce, just absolutely fresh, I know where it came from, absolutely nothing bad on it lettuce, haha. Even the organic stuff makes me wonder sometimes... but this? My mom grew it, so it's mommy lettuce, haha :D

Make sure to pack some hay in the carrier. When I take my two pairs on road trips I set up the carriers like litterboxes right before the actual drive--newspaper on the bottom if I have it, then a layer of wood stove pellets, then a layer of hay. When I arrive, the top comes off the carrier and fresh hay is added and it serves as their litterbox during the stay. Right before we drive home again, the box gets changed. I have done 7-8 hr drives and 12-13 hr drives this way, and rarely if ever does somebody stop pooping or eating. If they do, within a few hours of calm time at the new location, with some fresh greens, they're back to 100%.

Latest posts

Back